• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I've been noticing the past couple of days iggys poop has been water. Right now it was nothing but water/clear liquid. But other times he has normal poops. I am worried. He's only 7 months old. I feed him harrisons pellets and fresh fruit and veggies. The only thing that has changed it I started giving him beans...which he loves...right now he pooped and he was real watery with a little bit of reddish brown stuff in it. Is this something I should be worried about? He's fine otherwise happy not lethargic or anything. Please let me know if this is normal. Thanks!

Here are a couple pictures of his poop. One is not watery and one was but one before both of those was pure clear liquid.:

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Kiwi's poops are more watery after his bath (he drinks a lot of water while bathing) or after having really juicy/watery fruits (grapes, watermelon)

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
He didn't take a bath. He normally takes baths after I put him back in his cage. It's possible he is drinking a lot more water though because it's been so hot the past couple days. In the 100's outside. I only give him grapes every couple of days so I know that's not it and he hasn't had watermelon...oooohhhh but he has had cantelope is that watery? It seems like it would be. And papaya. Those seem like watery fruits. (I don't eat either of them so I don't know). I just got worried because I thought he might have a parasite or something. :eek:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, I always worry when poops change. If it were one of mine I would investigate the poops closely. Do they smell? Do you see any tiny bubbles? What has the bird been playing with? Does the birds breath smell? How is the little guy acting? Bathing in water bowl, shower, high water content fruits or mellon could contribute to an all water poop.

You may want to add a few drops of ACV to Iggys water. Next, go back to his regular diet, consistent until you are sure everything is OK. Watch every poop, if the liquid continues call your vet.

Gary

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds poops are looking like that right now because of the high temps. I consider it a good thing because it means they are staying hydrated in this heat. Sounds like Iggy is doing a good job taking care of himself and you're feeding him some good foods in these high temps as well.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Thanks I will have to go get some ACV. I know I hear great things about it just have never bought it. I will have to eliminate the melon since that may be the cause.

I haven't notice a smell in his poop or bubbles. I will pay closer attention though.

Maybe I should start feeding fruits every other day instead of every day? I've heard some people do this. Until I know what's the problem though I won't change his diet, besides taking away the melon.

Edit: Should I not eliminate the melon completely? Just not offer it every day.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Good job being so alert as to what is going on with your bird. I almost lost Nicky (SC) because I didn't recognize that his poops had blood in them, until he did a huge one down the front of my T-shirt. Whatever it is, you've caught it quickly. I think poop-watching is the quickest non-aggressive way to monitor a parrots health. Good luck to you both !!!:dance5:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Amy, if you add ACV to his water, make sure he is still drinking it. A lot of birds won't drink their water when something has been added. If you're having high temps and it's warm where Iggy stays he needs to stay hydrated. Another way to give ACV is to put it on a birdie salad using fresh vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, dark leafy greens, broccoli, etc. I wouldn't put it on everything in his food dish just in case he doesn't like it. My birds won't touch anything that has vinegar in it. As for the melon maybe not offer it so often or just offer less of it at a time if you're concerned about the droppings.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I just can't think how melon could be in any way bad for him.

Kmurph43

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kim
Lucy's was real watery when I was giving her cantaloupe, since I backed off on that, it's not so watery.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Amy, if you add ACV to his water, make sure he is still drinking it. A lot of birds won't drink their water when something has been added. If you're having high temps and it's warm where Iggy stays he needs to stay hydrated. Another way to give ACV is to put it on a birdie salad using fresh vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, dark leafy greens, broccoli, etc. I wouldn't put it on everything in his food dish just in case he doesn't like it. My birds won't touch anything that has vinegar in it. As for the melon maybe not offer it so often or just offer less of it at a time if you're concerned about the droppings.
ooh this reminds me, if I put the vinegar in his water and he bathes in it will that affect his feathers? The only way he takes bathes is in his water dish.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Lucy's was real watery when I was giving her cantaloupe, since I backed off on that, it's not so watery.
But it's GOOD to be well-hydrated, esp in this heat. What I'm trying to say: if your bird has watery poop because he ate melon, that's completely normal & not a bad thing. If he has watery poop consistently no matter how controlled his diet, then he would become dehydrated, which is dangerous. I don't think watery poop should become controlled by reducing liquid (either water or melon.) I would call your avain vet, & see
if you can find out the cause.
:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
But it's GOOD to be well-hydrated, esp in this heat. What I'm trying to say: if your bird has watery poop because he ate melon, that's completely normal & not a bad thing. If he has watery poop consistently no matter how controlled his diet, then he would become dehydrated, which is dangerous. I don't think watery poop should become controlled by reducing liquid (either water or melon.) I would call your avain vet, & see
if you can find out the cause.
:)
I agree. It's GOOD to be hydrated. So they have a few watery poops from eating fruit or drinking fluids. So what. As long as there's still normal poops along with it personally I wouldn't be too concerned.

Tika loves chamomile tea and will drink a quarter of a large cup. For the next couple of hours he is literally a squirt gun.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I feed mine extra servings of watery fruits when it is hot. Is very good to help keep them hydrated.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Yeah he still has normal poops, it's just some times he has the wateryness. I was a little worried. I'll keep a close eye on it still.

It's supposed to be really hot all week so I'll make sure he's being properly hydrated. He always has fresh water, in fact, he has two water bowls in his cage that are always clean.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Amy you may feed the watery fruits in the a.m and then less watery veggies and pellets later on, I think you will be able to gauge how his poops are in the wetness department.

Unless your vet tells you I wouldn't take away his melon.

Glad that you are aware that something different was going on with your little cutie pie.:)

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
I honestly think your fine...I feed my guys fruits and veggies everyday and both contain water. Its common for him to poop water...just like stated above, as long as he's having normal poop, YOUR FINE!:dance4:

georgi

Moving in
Real Name
Georgi
This is why i won't use Harrisons Pellets. I've heard about it causing this problem. You might want to do a Google search on Harrisons and research it a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.