• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stinky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebs

Walking the driveway
Tayla's cage stinks...even if it has only been mins since I cleaned it. :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
try cleaning it throughly from top to bottom with pure vinegar, then rinse off....

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we cleaned our cages this a.m.....whenever we notice a smell...that usually means something is germinating.......so we clean them with vinegar...it cuts through anything, also kills germs....and then rinse off...et voila..nice clean smelling cage and the vinegar willnot harm them.

Pebs

Walking the driveway
That's what I was worried about....that she was ill. I'm glad to know there is still time to do something.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Also, if you can take apart the cage and submerse it in the tub with cold water and bleach (cold water so the bleach smell doesn't get worse, no need to use hot water when you use bleach!). Let it soak for a good 10-15 mins then wipe and rinse extra well. It should kill anything and it's less work than wiping down with vinegar.

Pebs

Walking the driveway
Anne, it worked!! Thank you so much for the tip. I had heard/read that you could use vinegar but I thought it had to be mixed with water and I never knew the ratio so, I never tried it. I have always just used stuff that specifically says it is bird cage cleaner.
I cleaned with the vinegar this morning and it is now 5pm and there is no odor! Yayyy!!!!! :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.