• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stiff legs?

ACtiels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi all! One of my cockatiels, Cocoa, is a 13yo male. For a while now I’ve noticed that he seems a little clumsy when stepping up onto my finger, but didn’t think much of it. But then several days ago I noticed he was kind of hobbling? It doesn’t seem like one foot is worse than the other, its just like he isn’t picking his feet up all the way, and he seems to stumble more than usual.

I can’t see anything wrong with his feet or nails, and he’s acting normal otherwise. Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be? We are taking him to the vet but his appointment isn’t for 2 weeks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Arthritis maybe? Does he grip ok or is it his legs? What kind of perches does he have?

ACtiels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Arthritis maybe? Does he grip ok or is it his legs? What kind of perches does he have?
Arthritis would make sense! His grip seems ok, he’s still able to get around just fine. He has a few different perches, including some that are smooth on top but rough on the sides which I know are potentially problematic. We got them from their previous owner and just left them since they’ve never had any foot problems before. They also have a bird room and are only confined to the cage at night, so during the day he has access to a few play stands.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Arthritis would make sense! His grip seems ok, he’s still able to get around just fine. He has a few different perches, including some that are smooth on top but rough on the sides which I know are potentially problematic. We got them from their previous owner and just left them since they’ve never had any foot problems before. They also have a bird room and are only confined to the cage at night, so during the day he has access to a few play stands.
If it is arthritis, the vet can prescribe medication to help. I give my older birds a rope perch because it's softer on their feet as one of their perching options. You just have to watch as some birds will chew on them which can cause problems. So then I take it out if that's the case. You don't want nails getting caught in threads, etc. I also like adding some natural wood perches or even some platform perches. There are also supplements that may help. I buy an anti-inflammatory mixture for one of my birds from Christine's Chop Shop. It's a mixture of things like turmeric, ginger, etc.

ACtiels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
If it is arthritis, the vet can prescribe medication to help. I give my older birds a rope perch because it's softer on their feet as one of their perching options. You just have to watch as some birds will chew on them which can cause problems. So then I take it out if that's the case. You don't want nails getting caught in threads, etc. I also like adding some natural wood perches or even some platform perches. There are also supplements that may help. I buy an anti-inflammatory mixture for one of my birds from Christine's Chop Shop. It's a mixture of things like turmeric, ginger, etc.
I’ll look into those, thanks so much!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another thing is to ensure he is getting enough calcium and D3. These have a surprisingly important role in muscle control!

ACtiels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Update: Cocoa had his vet appointment today and had some bloodwork done. The vet thinks it could be arthritis, or it could be something serious like heart disease because he’s a little overweight :(

We are starting him on anti inflammatories and may do an x ray depending on what the bloodwork shows. Please send prayers/good vibes for my boy!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he'll be okay. Anti inflammatory should help if it's arthritis. Also, we give my bird with arthritis- we think- gabapentin. You might want to ask your vet about that. It's for pain. Also, I give my older birds senior nutriberries. It has supplements in it aimed at helping older birds. Not that your bird is actually "old" but might be helpful.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Gabapentin is serious stuff. Is your bird okay, sunnysmom?! :sad14:

ACtiels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I hope he'll be okay. Anti inflammatory should help if it's arthritis. Also, we give my bird with arthritis- we think- gabapentin. You might want to ask your vet about that. It's for pain. Also, I give my older birds senior nutriberries. It has supplements in it aimed at helping older birds. Not that your bird is actually "old" but might be helpful.
Thank you!! I’m hoping we’ll see improvement with the anti inflammatory, I think it’s Meloxicam? Our vet also recommended the senior birds nutriberries so I just ordered a bunch

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hope your baby doing ok and meds help

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Gabapentin is serious stuff. Is your bird okay, sunnysmom?! :sad14:
It's for Rosie. He's 34. So old for a cockatiel. Our vet thinks he has arthritis in his wings. So it's to help with any pain. He gets a really low dose. I think it's used a lot with animals. He's actually doing great for his age.

ACtiels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Another update: the anti inflammatories seem to be helping!! Also, Cocoa’s bloodwork came back mostly normal which is good. His cholesterol and triglycerides were a little high, but the vet expected that since he was overweight. His calcium was also slightly high, which she said could be nothing but can sometimes be a sign of cancer. We don’t give them any calcium supplements so that does worry me a little :(

Our next step is probably going to be x-rays, so we’ll see how that goes!

ACtiels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
It's for Rosie. He's 34. So old for a cockatiel. Our vet thinks he has arthritis in his wings. So it's to help with any pain. He gets a really low dose. I think it's used a lot with animals. He's actually doing great for his age.
Wow 34 is incredible for a cockatiel!!! That’s awesome

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Another update: the anti inflammatories seem to be helping!! Also, Cocoa’s bloodwork came back mostly normal which is good. His cholesterol and triglycerides were a little high, but the vet expected that since he was overweight. His calcium was also slightly high, which she said could be nothing but can sometimes be a sign of cancer. We don’t give them any calcium supplements so that does worry me a little :(

Our next step is probably going to be x-rays, so we’ll see how that goes!
First off , what a great pic of your 4!
Wonderful that you had vet exam and work up..I'm real glad to hear of improvement.