• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Starting out... need advice

Sundae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
So I have had two bettas before (Star -blue with red tail- Olive -green with orange tail-) but I am thinking about getting a 30 gall tank. I would want pretty easy to take care of but active fish. I am thinking tetras but I am not sure. I definitely want freshwater fish not saltwater. LMK what you think!

Some things I'd love to know:

1. Tank size? Best for beginners.

2. Best fish for beginners.

3. Live vs. fake plants.

4. Basic care for tank.

5. Costs.

Thanks!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
1. Tank size? Best for beginners.

Bigger is better as it's more stable, but not so huge reaching in for maintenance is a pain. I suggest 20/ 29/ 40 breeder/ 60/ 75. I like their proportions & am particularly partial to 29.

2. Best fish for beginners.

There are a lot. Seriouslyfish has great profiles. You should consider fish compatibility & diet. Some fish will eat your plants. Get your water tested. It's easier to get species that like your pH than to change your pH. For general one offs, I always put fish groupings into AqAdvisor. They'll say things you won't have considered, like that a certain species is too shy to live with another.

3. Live vs. fake plants.

If you go fake, go imitation silk. Live are lovely but don't add them 'till after it's cycled or they may get covered in diatoms.

4. Basic care for tank.

I recommend reading on various fish websites, like Fishlore or The Planted Tank Forum. This is species dependent.

5. Costs.

That depends on the above four questions. :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Also should mention Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine (in print or online) is great!!