• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Squash seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I have an organic acorn squash here that is going to be used as an ingredient of birdie and I was wondering if the seeds would be alright for the birds as well.

If so what would be the best way to give them to the fids? Raw, roasted, or put them in the bread and bake them? I wanted to make the bread today but I only have aluminum free baking soda in the house not baking powder. No cream of tarter either and I'm too dizzy to ride to the store and get some so it will have to wait.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It must be a bit like pumpkin seed in my opinion. ..I think it would be ok. Here's a video that I took in October around Thanksgiving time.

I gave it to Emma.. raw and straight from the shell and.....:rofl:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
they are similar to pumpkin seeds and should be fine

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
Squash seeds are fine and they love them (mine do anyway, and I hear lots of birds do). I rinse them off, dry them and then roast them. You can sprinkle cayenne or cinnamon or something else on them, but I give them to them plain and they love 'em.

Saemma, I think I read that you are not supposed to give birds the "guts" of any gourd, squash or pumpkin, but I can't remember why.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
mine LOVE squash seeds - I don't bake mine as my guys are all small and they can get into the shell easier when it is moist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.