• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Last week I made some sprouts to go with the batch of greens I made.

I used the Avian Vitality Sprouts mix from Avian Organics.

I did have the Boy take pictures of all steps of the process (since these were done with little light available and he has a more fancy flash and other lights than myself..).

Here is the mix, before I washed them and then placed them in water with a few drops of GSE to soak for a few hours. I started them on March 20th in the evening (a Sunday).

I didn't get to them until later in the afternoon of the 21st, having not thought of them before I headed to work. I drained the water, gave them a good rinse and put them in a larger container so they would fit in one layer. I closed the container and put a cloth on it to keep it in the dark.

On the 22nd, my sprouts looked like this.

Not everything had properly sprouted yet so I decided to give them a few more hours. Do note that I continued to rinse the sprouts every morning and evening.

On the 23rd, the sprouts looked like this.

And a close up, because the boy wanted to try his macro lens and it does look kinda cool.

I was happy with the result, gave them a final rinse, drained them well and in the fridge they went. The fridge slows down the sprouting ability quite a bit so there wasn't much difference between their state on the picture above and what they were like when I ran out. The fridge also helps to keep the sprouts slightly longer. I don't bother making a batch that will last more than four days or so though, in case they would spoil.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Looks awesome! I will definitely be doing this for Bean :D
I also think I'd like to make some salad sprouts for myself eventually!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I like it!!! When you sprout different types of beans...you will get different time frames...that is why I like to sprout the same type in each jar...that way I know when they are ready like I like them...I don't put mine in the "dark"....I leave them on the kitchen counter so I REMEMBER them!:hug8:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I like it!!! When you sprout different types of beans...you will get different time frames...that is why I like to sprout the same type in each jar...that way I know when they are ready like I like them...I don't put mine in the "dark"....I leave them on the kitchen counter so I REMEMBER them!:hug8:
I have done the different ones in different containers in the past, but since this mix came all together in one bag, all together they went :) And even then, some of the smaller ones, lentils, haven't really sprouted that first day. Same with some of the peas/beans. The extra day seemed beneficial to all :)

I only covered them once they were done soaking. I didn't forget then. It's just Monday morning was a bit hectic before leaving to go to work therefore sprouts were the last thing on my mind. I did stop the soaking once I came home though :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Looks awesome! I will definitely be doing this for Bean :D
I also think I'd like to make some salad sprouts for myself eventually!
I know a few people who eat the sprouts they make in any different forms, salads included :)

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OH I understood that! I'm the one that FORGETS!!!!! That is why I leave them on the counter! LOL:hug8:

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
wow, they look good. love the pics. And what a great closeup shot.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
OH I understood that! I'm the one that FORGETS!!!!! That is why I leave them on the counter! LOL:hug8:
It's all good!
Actually, the only reason I cover them is because I've heard they do better in the dark and the logic seems sound - after all, with new plants you normally have the sprouting occur in soil :)

I would love to see what you use to sprout though - do you use mason jars with a lid with holes allowing to drain? I'm thinking of going down that road eventually...

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am trying to sprout sunflower seeds this week.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

It's all good!
Actually, the only reason I cover them is because I've heard they do better in the dark and the logic seems sound - after all, with new plants you normally have the sprouting occur in soil :)

I would love to see what you use to sprout though - do you use mason jars with a lid with holes allowing to drain? I'm thinking of going down that road eventually...
I use pint jars and circles of screen mesh put over the opening with the metal ring screwed over the top...that way I can run water into the pint jar and not be afraid of loosing the seeds...l let the water run for a good minute or two....if I decide to soak them with vinegar or GSE for about 10 mins....I let it set...then pour off the water...shake the seeds back to the bottom and sometimes cover the jar with a plastic bag to hold the moisture in...depends on how dry the house it...

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Oh my gosh, talk about fantastic close up shots!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
My husband LOVES sandwiches made with nothing but sprouts. For him, I sprout lots of hot radish seed.
I prefer mixed sprouts, same mix as your photos, added to a salad.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
so cool!! love the pics!!! :highfive:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine

I use pint jars and circles of screen mesh put over the opening with the metal ring screwed over the top...that way I can run water into the pint jar and not be afraid of loosing the seeds...l let the water run for a good minute or two....if I decide to soak them with vinegar or GSE for about 10 mins....I let it set...then pour off the water...shake the seeds back to the bottom and sometimes cover the jar with a plastic bag to hold the moisture in...depends on how dry the house it...
That is a good idea. I bought a sprouting mix but haven't tried it yet because I was trying to figure out how I could keep it out where I will remember to rinse and keep the cats out of it. My darn cats will eat anything.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
What kind of seeds are those?
According to the ingredient list, the mix contains garbanzo beans, lentils, peas and fenugreek

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
I just staretd sprouting red radish...I LOOOVE it, ok ok...so do the birds :lol:I have one of those sprouting jars you can buy at hole food markets.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Looks great Natacha! I'm assuming the birds enjoyed them? Sprouted beans are always a favorite at my house.

I actually have a friend at work who eats a lot of bean salads for lunch and when she found out I sprouted beans for the birds she asked how I did it. Now she sprouts her own beans for her salads.

Status
Not open for further replies.