• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting tips

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Hello all!
I wanted to try sprouting for my conure to introduce some new foods. I bought a kit from China prarie so hopefully this will be a fairly simple process. I was just looking for some tips and tricks from people who have previously sprouted... Any do this and definitely don’t do that kind of info you learned along the way. I really don’t want to make my bird sick by doing it wrong.

Also how do you store the unsprouted mix? I’m putting it in freezer for a few days because I’ve read bugs can get in it and I’d rather be safe then sorry! Should I just leave them in freezer in the bags they came in or store them in Tupperware containers in a cabinet?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions along the way thanks for any and all help!! :D

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I have stored mine in the cabinet or the fridge but have never tried the freezer. Both the cabinet and fridge have worked well for me.

As for tips that I have learned. Rinse, rinse, rinse! I probably overly rinse mine but they sprout well and we have had no issues. I have also rinsed with vinegar as well. I didn't notice a difference with all water rinse vs water rinse with an extra rinse with vinegar. Both sprouted the same for me.

Use a smaller amount of seeds as they puff up during the soak stage. When I first started sprouting I filled half the jar with my sprouts and when they were in the soak stage they puffed up and filled the sprout jar too full.

Raddish sprouts have an odor at least to me. I thought they were bad because they have a sulfur type smell to me. They just have a distinctive odor about them.

When in doubt throw it out! I smell mine before serving. If they are bad you can tell by smell, looks, and taste. Taste and smell them when they are fresh so you know what they should taste and smell like. I usually toss mine after a few days in the fridge if any are left.

I am sure others will chime in as well.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I have two freezer containers that I keep the seed mixes in. I just scoop out what I need when I'm ready to sprout a new batch.

LovieLouie

I have stored mine in the cabinet or the fridge but have never tried the freezer. Both the cabinet and fridge have worked well for me.

As for tips that I have learned. Rinse, rinse, rinse! I probably overly rinse mine but they sprout well and we have had no issues. I have also rinsed with vinegar as well. I didn't notice a difference with all water rinse vs water rinse with an extra rinse with vinegar. Both sprouted the same for me.

Use a smaller amount of seeds as they puff up during the soak stage. When I first started sprouting I filled half the jar with my sprouts and when they were in the soak stage they puffed up and filled the sprout jar too full.

Raddish sprouts have an odor at least to me. I thought they were bad because they have a sulfur type smell to me. They just have a distinctive odor about them.

When in doubt throw it out! I smell mine before serving. If they are bad you can tell by smell, looks, and taste. Taste and smell them when they are fresh so you know what they should taste and smell like. I usually toss mine after a few days in the fridge if any are left.

I am sure others will chime in as well.
super helpful info thanks so much!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I freeze any bird food that comes into my house, including sprouts. I had a seed moth outbreak several years ago and will not go through that again. Just make sure after freezing anything you let is thaw in an open container.

LovieLouie

I freeze any bird food that comes into my house, including sprouts. I had a seed moth outbreak several years ago and will not go through that again. Just make sure after freezing anything you let is thaw in an open container.
Thank you! I too have had moths and what a pain in the.... lol definitely not fun!!

LovieLouie

Look I did it lol!! I only used a quarter cup of seeds, wanted to see how long they last and how quick my guy goes through them. how much do you offer? I just scooped about a tablespoon full and tossed it in the bowl with his veggies. He tried it right away so I was super pleased with that :) Is it ok to feed the sprouts to him every day or should I only feed a few times a week?
Also I was wondering how everyone stores their sprouts. Instructions say I can leave them in the sprouter in fridge but it’s kind of big so I wonder if I can just put them in a smaller Tupperware container instead? They are a little moist will that be ok? How long do they usually stay good for once in fridge?
Oh and do you rinse them right before serving every time??
Thanks!!

3185339D-358D-4C88-9986-C3E08D6B6663.jpeg

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Sprouts are one of the healthiest things we can feed since it is live food. You can feed daily if you want to. I have read that for hormonal or birds with kidney issues that you should limit it to a couple of times a week.

I store mine in the fridge in the sprouter we have since it is a smaller mason jar size. It has good air flow and it can sit on an angle so any extra water can drip out. I rinse/drain mine daily after sprouted. If I don't they tend to dry out or not last as long.

LovieLouie

Sprouts are one of the healthiest things we can feed since it is live food. You can feed daily if you want to. I have read that for hormonal or birds with kidney issues that you should limit it to a couple of times a week.

I store mine in the fridge in the sprouter we have since it is a smaller mason jar size. It has good air flow and it can sit on an angle so any extra water can drip out. I rinse/drain mine daily after sprouted. If I don't they tend to dry out or not last as long.
Ok great info thanks again!!
Is it a special mason jar you have since it sits on an angle or just a regular one??

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Ok great info thanks again!!
Is it a special mason jar you have since it sits on an angle or just a regular one??
If you use Facebook Dr. Jason Crean has an Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition group. He has a ton of great information. You can find lots of tips by using the search feature in the group.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I store mine in a small sprouter tray or in a mason jar with a mesh lid. It is important that it is able to drain while in fridge since you are rinsing daily.

LovieLouie

I store mine in a small sprouter tray or in a mason jar with a mesh lid. It is important that it is able to drain while in fridge since you are rinsing daily.
Great! Thank you!!

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I love sprouting! I have 2 tips that would've saved me some time (and money). Make sure you don't keep your sprouting container on a counter that gets direct sun. It makes them spoil PRONTO. Also, SOME seeds have little root hairs that develop when they first start growing. It's not mold. Look closely before tossing them.

Good luck and have fun!!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Look I did it lol!! I only used a quarter cup of seeds, wanted to see how long they last and how quick my guy goes through them. how much do you offer? I just scooped about a tablespoon full and tossed it in the bowl with his veggies. He tried it right away so I was super pleased with that :) Is it ok to feed the sprouts to him every day or should I only feed a few times a week?
Also I was wondering how everyone stores their sprouts. Instructions say I can leave them in the sprouter in fridge but it’s kind of big so I wonder if I can just put them in a smaller Tupperware container instead? They are a little moist will that be ok? How long do they usually stay good for once in fridge?
Oh and do you rinse them right before serving every time??
Thanks!!

View attachment 403077
thats excellent i have never managed to do sprouts i have just got a big bag of sprouting seeds from a UK retailer and want to give it another go wouldd you mind sharing your process please ?
basically a idiots guide if you wouldnt mind :nocomment:

LovieLouie

thats excellent i have never managed to do sprouts i have just got a big bag of sprouting seeds from a UK retailer and want to give it another go wouldd you mind sharing your process please ?
basically a idiots guide if you wouldnt mind :nocomment:
thanks!! Sure
Basically I soaked 8 hours and then sprouted for 12 hrs (x3). In between each step I rinsed, dipped in water/GSE for 3 min then drained and let sit.

I only sprouted one mix and I used 1/4 cup and had to toss some in the end. It didn’t seem bad but after a few days in the fridge I got rid of it anyway. I also used a timer or alarm on my phone so I didn’t forget to do the rinses (I tend to be forgetful lol)

I just followed everything this video did. It was posted on the website I got my sprouting stuff from :) so she is using the same sprouter and seed I have.

I did it again another time too. but I followed a different tutorial I found on sprout people’s website. This time I did not do the GSE/water dip every time. I only did it once at the very end. In this video he doesn’t do it at all so I’m not sure you even need to but I figured it wouldn’t hurt. I know some say they don’t use any and others who use apple cider vinegar instead -but I didn’t have any ACV. I liked the way he drained it better than the first video and that he didn’t use so much of the GSE (well any actually. Lol)
next batch I’ll probably do same as this again

hope this helps!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d personally follow the second video and ignore the first. Maybe it’s just me but I find that person in the first clip so painful to watch. Sprout people run a business, they have a good reputation from my understanding

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for that