• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting for your budgie

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
My vet told me I can feed my two budgies as much sprouts as they want. Once the seeds have germinated and sprouted a bit, most of the fat has been used up. I put about a tablespoon in the dish for mine, some days I give them more in the afternoon. They eat the sprouts first in the morning and then munch on them throughout the day.

I also have oat and wheat grass growing, some of which has gone to seed. My vet also said I can give them as much of the seed heads as they want. I usually put only one oat seed head in (they are big) or 3-4 wheat grass seed heads along with some blades of the grass for them to chew on.

MarilynC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn Cole
Now I’m confused. Sorry. I thought I was also supposed to get them to eat pellets, too. They prefer seeds.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Most people on this forum feed their budgies pellets, some seeds and a variety of fresh veggies, greens and sprouts. I've seen a "rule of thumb" as 25% seeds. There has been much discussion over seeds vs pellets. I recommend you read up on that and make your decision based upon what you think is best for your budgies.

Pat H

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Pat
I FINALLY went into a 'new' store in Dubuque Iowa... Natural Foods... On the outside it looks expensive [and on many items it is]... BUT they have SO MANY things in there--- all the Organic and non-GMO foods, seeds and grains... my mind was just whirling as I considered what to get to sprout! :pinklol3:

Farfah

Strolling the yard
I FINALLY went into a 'new' store in Dubuque Iowa... Natural Foods... On the outside it looks expensive [and on many items it is]... BUT they have SO MANY things in there--- all the Organic and non-GMO foods, seeds and grains... my mind was just whirling as I considered what to get to sprout! :pinklol3:
I hit up a health store to look for seeds last week! So much fun. They had a section for sprouting and I picked up a salad blend. What are you planning on sprouting next?

Pat H

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Pat
Oohhh... I didn't see any salad blend-- I'll have to look for that next. Don't think our dove would eat any Radish sprouts-- too spicy. Think I'll try Millet or Sorghum... That was a GREAT STORE!!!