• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special needs Meyers in Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saw this today .. his feeties were chewed as a baby in the nest by the parents. He's hands off, just needs a soft place to land with someone who won't mind making some easy accommodations for lack of feet.

Anybody? I can help with transport!

small parrot

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
If I were financially stable enough I would in a heartbeat! I hope someone from AA can take him in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
•••• this one is in my neck of the woods. I wish I was financially able to take on one more. Not to mention my husband would have a cow if I got another right now.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
If I were closer, he would be here in a heartbeat. I sure hope that poor little man finds a good home.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Oh, little buddy! So wish I could take him in:(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
•••• this one is in my neck of the woods. I wish I was financially able to take on one more. Not to mention my husband would have a cow if I got another right now.
Yours and mine both (hmm, it would be an interesting sight though ... maybe we could make $ off that!!???) :rofl:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
If I were closer, he would be here in a heartbeat. I sure hope that poor little man finds a good home.
I know Anne, If I had the extra cash he would already be on his way here too. I have the space and cage but I know I can't afford vet care for him right now. So praying another Roadie can take him in.:hug8:

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
I've been keeping an eye out for a Meyer's baby for a while now, and I'd rather rescue than go any other way... but I'm concerned I might not be knowledgeable enough to handle a special needs baby like this. I've had a finch with no feet before, and built some special grooved perches for him, but eek. I don't know if I'm confident enough..... but I'm definitely interested in the little guy. What do you guys think?

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I've been keeping an eye out for a Meyer's baby for a while now, and I'd rather rescue than go any other way... but I'm concerned I might not be knowledgeable enough to handle a special needs baby like this. I've had a finch with no feet before, and built some special grooved perches for him, but eek. I don't know if I'm confident enough..... but I'm definitely interested in the little guy. What do you guys think?
Honestly, taking care of a special needs baby isn't much different then taking care of one without special needs. There are plenty of things you can do to help him like flat perches that will help him get around better. I had a special needs Meyers and her feet/toes were really bad - almost like both legs and feet were broken and never fixed. She did well getting around but she couldn't climb. I found her a cage with horizontal bars and she did well. I made sure she had lots of flat perches and everything was closer to the ground so if she did fall, it wasn't as bad. I also lined her cage with foam so it softened her falls.

You always have us to help so I say go for it!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
To take in a handicapped bird is a great challenge. You have to think outside the box,and be flexible in finding the best accommodations. You did say you had a finch with special needs-so you already have some experience. Obviously,every case is different.
IMO,why don't you look into this little one?

MsCreature

Real Name
Shy
<3
I'm really considering it. I'm curious if the little guy just bites or if he's not interested in human interaction? Either way I'd try and get him to snuggle somehow! Hehe. I imagine a decent size ferret-type cage would be good? I guess I'd just have to see what would be best if this works out.. I'd ideally like to have mostly out of cage time, since I'm home pretty often. Hmmmmm....

Going to have to convince the boy that this might be a good idea. That's going to be a hard part! Also, I'm in California which is a bit of a ways away from Indiana! If this works though I could pay for airline travel and such to get him here, I'd just need somebody to pick him up.

Don't want to get ahead of myself, haha. The SO might put his foot down and say 'no!' but hopefully he won't. :angel3:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
<3
I'm really considering it. I'm curious if the little guy just bites or if he's not interested in human interaction? Either way I'd try and get him to snuggle somehow! Hehe. I imagine a decent size ferret-type cage would be good? I guess I'd just have to see what would be best if this works out.. I'd ideally like to have mostly out of cage time, since I'm home pretty often. Hmmmmm....

Going to have to convince the boy that this might be a good idea. That's going to be a hard part! Also, I'm in California which is a bit of a ways away from Indiana! If this works though I could pay for airline travel and such to get him here, I'd just need somebody to pick him up.

Don't want to get ahead of myself, haha. The SO might put his foot down and say 'no!' but hopefully he won't. :angel3:
If you can take this baby in just remember that he/she may never be interested in human contact. I wouldn't try to push the issue with him and let him set the pace. Make sure you are ok with the fact that he may never be a hands on bird. If you are ok with this and can provide vet care then I say go for it. :)

I

MsCreature

Real Name
Shy
I am definitely concerned about that fact, especially since I have little to no experience with birds that are unhand able. I'd be concerned for cage changes and adding extra stress to the poor baby's life. :/ I can handle aggressive snakes and cats, haha! And I can moderately handle wild birds and corvids, but never really something like this.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I have been back to this thread SO many times! I'm so drawn to this little one-PLEASE someone else help him before I give in to My heart and go for Him:hug8:PLEASE:hug8:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
As of yet, I've not heard back from the owners. I sent a second e-mail, but again, no response.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Any news on this little guy? I can't get him out of my head, he really needs a good AA home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Merlie,let Me know if You hear back,My heart goes out to this little one:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.