• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sore feet after trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barefoot Parrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Booker
I just trimmed Monty's nails for the first time, (not all of them, just the longer ones, and not too short) they're not bleeding or open at all, but he was chewing one of his feet and he's holding it up now. Is that okay? Sometimes when I trim my goat's hooves, they get sore and lie down, and Monty still walks on it when he has to, but he prefers to hold it up. Now, this was just like twenty minutes ago that I trimmed them, he might toughen up later, but should I worry?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Are you positive you didn't quick him? That's how ralphie acts when I cut too close.

I would take less off next time. A good clip job doesn't usually result in any pain for the bird.

Barefoot Parrot

Real Name
Booker
Maybe it was too close, but it's definitely not bleeding. Yeah, that's probably what it was. Like I said, I haven't trimmed his nails before so the quick probably grew out. I always have to watch that with my goats, I was helping out at a goat farm, and this woman has like twenty so she trims their feet really close each time, and then when she lets them out they all lie down, their hoofies are sore. :( That's what it is. Problem solved!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Hooved animals shouldn't be in pain after a trim either.

Yes, from now on, cut more often, but only the very little tip. Let the quick go back bit by bit.

Barefoot Parrot

Real Name
Booker
This woman can't trim as often as she should, so when she does, she trims a little further than most people would, so that they won't have to be trimmed for a longer time. I'm not justifying it (although I see nothing wrong), I'm just associating that to the current situation, which has seemed to dissolve as Monty doesn't seem sore anymore.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I understand why she's doing it, but of course, the goats would be better off being trimmed every 6-10 weeks depending on time of year and rate of growth. I had goats for many years, and none ever had sore feet after trimming. Although I've seen bad farriers cut horses too short as well and make them sore.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
If you're also uncomfortable with trimming Montys nails (your budgie's need their nails done just as often) then why not take them into a pet store or have your vet do it. Have them show you how and maybe talk you through the process so you can be more comfortable with it.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Know when our horses had their hooves trimmed as they got older it became more difficult to take much off as the middle bit grows and it becomes more difficult to take much of the hoof off. By doing it on a regular basis it kept it short and more easily managed?
Can you keep your birds claws shorter by giving him a hard stone rough perch somewhere to stand on and wear them down naturally? This worked for ours and here was no need to cut them, the smaller the bird the easier it is to manage.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
had Mangos nails done his were long and bled but he didnt have sore feet but had problems landing on me,,lol caise he relide on long nails to get balance took a week or two and hes fine noe also had beak shortened that went fine now its done ill have them come in every 2 months or so and keep it this way
it was cheaper to have them come in than taking him any place and they were great with him so for $35.00 travel expence nails and beak was cheap payed $118.00 at vet and nails were back in a week now every few months he will be done if needed

doll

Barefoot Parrot

Real Name
Booker
I think he might bite them down because I've never seen them long enough to inspire trimming. I can't bring him to a store or vet because he is as unsocial as it gets. He can't stand anyone besides my sister, me, my dad, and sometimes someone who respects his space and doesn't show their hands to him. Besides, I am comfortable doing it.

I don't know why I didn't think of the long quick, my goats get that constantly. Their toes start bleeding before I can even take anything off their heel. And actually now that I think about it, it was just one goat who was sore because we were having trouble with her (a yealring who wasn't familiar with being on a milkstand). Speaking of which, I have go do both of one of my does front hooves now.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, don't worry about him being unsociable. Groomers and vets are used to handling birds that aren't tame at all.

If Monty likes your sister or dad, have them start filing his nails with an emery board, little by little. I used to do this with my Blue Crown as she would let me. Pete and Merlin will let me as well, but Rowdy is another story. Luckily she does hers herself with her cement perch.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Yup I wouldn't worry about him being unsocial and he was uncomfortable last time I honestly think taking him to a vet or groomer would be good for him and you. It'll show him its not a painful experience and then you can watch and learn the best ways to do it.

I use to work at a local chain pet shop. We charged $5 to trim small birds nails (small bird was basically conure, quaker and down) I trimmed birds that were 100% tame and easy I didn't need a towel or anything to 100% untame EVIL birds. Like they wanted to rip your face off for just looking at them. Like never been out of the cage untame.

Just make sure you bring a proper sized towel for the bird which should be like a dish towel. When you take him in just ask if they can help and show you. Usually its best if you have someone help you. One person hold and the other clip nails. Once you get comfortable you can learn to clip yourself. I do mine alone now but it took a while to get comfortable enough with it. Quicking a bird too often can cause them not to trust you and cause more problems down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.