• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sooo frustrating....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am so frustrated. I am creeping around on craigslist just looking at bird cages and I just saw that someone is trying to sell an African Grey baby that they bought at the bird fair I was at on Sunday. They decided it would just be too stressful to ship the bird so they want to find it a "good home". What is wrong with people???? Who buys an African Grey on a "whim" and then decides to sell it 2 days later? So frustrating....:mad:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so frustrated. I am creeping around on craigslist just looking at bird cages and I just saw that someone is trying to sell an African Grey baby that they bought at the bird fair I was at on Sunday. They decided it would just be too stressful to ship the bird so they want to find it a "good home". What is wrong with people???? Who buys an African Grey on a "whim" and then decides to sell it 2 days later? So frustrating....:mad:
Vicki, I can so relate. I'm really going to have to cut myself off from CL and Hoobly, because that sort of thing is all too common. Right now, there's a B&G within an hour of me with a horrible tiny rusted cage, etc. :( If I were moved already, I probably would have thrown Elvis's carrier into the car and gone and gotten her, but I just can't right now. So sad. These things can haunt you...

Birdsforlife

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
I cant go there anymore. There are so many sad cases on there right now and I am tempted to save them all; wish I could. Its heartbreaking.

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
That is so sad but all to common because so many people see animals as a living being and only as commodity.
In many peoples mind a bird is not even as true of a pet as say like a dog or cat.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Vicki, I can so relate. I'm really going to have to cut myself off from CL and Hoobly, because that sort of thing is all too common. Right now, there's a B&G within an hour of me with a horrible tiny rusted cage, etc. :( If I were moved already, I probably would have thrown Elvis's carrier into the car and gone and gotten her, but I just can't right now. So sad. These things can haunt you...
I cant go there anymore. There are so many sad cases on there right now and I am tempted to save them all; wish I could. Its heartbreaking.
I know and I'm sorry to bum you guys out....I swear I was just looking at cages!!! They tricked me:mad: I just don't get it. I wonder did they buy her just to resell for money? Or, did they actually, stupidly buy her, admittedly on a "whim" only to decide they can't do it. There are SO many young birds on CL. Some as young as 6 months old.

That is too bad about the B&G, I wish you could go get her too:hug8:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Well, we can look at the bright side...that good homes have been found from CL listings. I personally didn't see Ollie's listing, but he was on there. I'm so glad he is with us now.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, we can look at the bright side...that good homes have been found from CL listings. I personally didn't see Ollie's listing, but he was on there. I'm so glad he is with us now.
Thanks, Monica :hug8: That is a comforting thought.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Well, at least it isn't attached to it's "owner" and hopefully a good bird person will take it.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have to cut myself off from looking at them when I get thinking too hard on the poor things on there and wanting to rescue all of them.:(

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Monica,

You and Ollie so lucked out in finding each other. What a perfect match. You are right a lot of people get their birds on CL. I found my fabulous little Argyle on there. There were other Linnies I could have got including a hand fed baby but for whatever reason I fell in love with his picture.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I feel just as bad for some of these birds stuck in pet stores. I remember being in one pet store I don't frequent, and in the back they had a "bird room". It was so sterile looking and uninviting. One bird that sticks out in my mind still is an alexandrine (I didn't even know what it was back then) and he was in the smallest of cages, without a single toy, and just some dirty water and seeds. It just sat there, so stoic and hopeless. It was more like a storage room for cages. I still think about that parrot, and if he ever found a good home.
But if we get thinking like this, it's a hopeless rut. I mean, there are so many neglected animals...heck, children and people! All the pain and hunger and wars and hardships that are endured during the course of ones life if that is your fate. It's easy to get depressed beyond measure, and I often fall into that syndrome. All we can do is the best that we can...try to bring comfort where we can, help where we are able, and hope and pray that there is a better future for all who are suffering. If we are good to each other, and to our birds, and our animals,and all who we encounter, maybe we can make a difference.
gee, I didn't mean to get so philosophical this evening. sorry!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I feel just as bad for some of these birds stuck in pet stores. I remember being in one pet store I don't frequent, and in the back they had a "bird room". It was so sterile looking and uninviting. One bird that sticks out in my mind still is an alexandrine (I didn't even know what it was back then) and he was in the smallest of cages, without a single toy, and just some dirty water and seeds. It just sat there, so stoic and hopeless. It was more like a storage room for cages. I still think about that parrot, and if he ever found a good home.
But if we get thinking like this, it's a hopeless rut. I mean, there are so many neglected animals...heck, children and people! All the pain and hunger and wars and hardships that are endured during the course of ones life if that is your fate. It's easy to get depressed beyond measure, and I often fall into that syndrome. All we can do is the best that we can...try to bring comfort where we can, help where we are able, and hope and pray that there is a better future for all who are suffering. If we are good to each other, and to our birds, and our animals,and all who we encounter, maybe we can make a difference.
You're completely right, Monica. There's so much beyond our control and it can really bring you down to think about all those we cannot help. It's much more worthwhile to invest positive thought into those we can help and pray those others are within the reach of others who are also willing to help.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
No, it's good. And, I totally agree with you that there are birds suffering in pet stores too. At least the bright side I guess is that they are trying to rehome them and maybe they will get into a better situation. I am sad thinking about it but, I am grateful that Ollie is with you, and Merlin is with me, and Thomas James and Hong Kong Fooey my shelter dogs are here and they are safe and in loving homes. And that so many birds get into loving homes through CL. I was just being whiny because sometimes I don't get people at all:confused:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I got Maddie and Beau off CL with "wanted" ads. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
By the way, like I said, I actually didn't go on there looking for ads to torture myself with, I was just looking up cages. I was just frustrated to see a baby grey, that I am sure I saw at the bird mart the other day, already for sale.

norwegian_blue

Strolling the yard
I know and I'm sorry to bum you guys out....I swear I was just looking at cages!!! They tricked me:mad: I just don't get it. I wonder did they buy her just to resell for money? Or, did they actually, stupidly buy her, admittedly on a "whim" only to decide they can't do it. There are SO many young birds on CL. Some as young as 6 months old.
:hug8:
Where I live, most of the birds in the listings are 6-9 months old. Half of them comes from its first home.
There are no old birds here. If somebody wants to give up his/her bird, and cannot sell it, the breeder takes them back and they become breeder birds.

The oldest bird I saw in the listings in the past 3 years was a 10 years old breeder CAG hen. :(

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
It’s just so sad that some people don’t respect animal and treat them like garbage. They get them in a whim and realize they are work so they sell them to someone else and they get shifted around and all stressed out. Some pet stores can just be so horrible. I just wish there was no such things as animal abuse and neglect. I tend to try to give an animal a good home if they have been abused and pick those ones to give them a better life. It makes me so sad to see a depressed bird that you can see in their eyes that they have given up on life. Boomer was at that stage, my GCC. The light in his eyes died and he was severely depressed. But now he is happy and healthy, sings his heart out and is nice and plump. Some people make me sick how they treat animal. They give up on the animal because they are work, they are not hand tamed, they are not what they expected (like they don’t talk), don’t want to train them and give up too easy, ect. You should love an animal for their individual behavior. Not what they can or can’t do. I just wish people would see them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.