• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Something I hadn't thought of

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Tuc

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erika
Last fall I got a baby zon and within a few weeks I noted that she had a mucusy poop string. Well I emailed everyone I know including my vet and all of them said - Give her more fruits and veggies, water, make sure she is drinking.

I did. It went away, then it came back. Then away again. Mind you she was eating great, all tests were aokay.

Well two months ago with the symptoms coming now and then she finally made it clear what was wrong.

TAPEWORM!

When she pooped one out, I thought - IS THIS POSSIBLE?!? Logically I knew it was, they are a parasite, she is a host. I just never heard of it before.

Anyway, I am posting this to let people know if they see something like what I described. They might have worms. Getting rid of them was easy, two deworming shots!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow, Im glad you got it taken care of.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:eek: So she had it for almost a year? Wow! :faint:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:omg: So glad You found out and took care of it:hug8:Thanks for the reminder that it CAN happen!

The Tuc

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erika
I don't know how long she had them for. I first saw her in Sept and brought her home in Nov.
Worms were "discovered" in June, so it is possible.

I wanted to post it somewhere because when you read up on "poop" it rarely mentions those symptoms!:cool:

The Tuc

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erika
Maybe... I met her in Sept, brought her home in Nov. Worms were "discovered" in June.

I remember when I first noted everything, I read all the online articles I could find on parrot poop. Color, consistency, etc. nothing mentioned "mucus". :cool:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
:omg: I didn't know it was possible for parrots to get tapeworms. Don't they get huge? Poor little baby, I'm so glad you caught it. I have at least twice kissed Nicky near his yellow bum. NOT a good move on my part. Thanks for posting this:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.