• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Something doesn't seem right..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
Normally my father parrotlet is spending a lot of time gathering food to take back into the nest box for mom and babies. He eats a lot, where I am having to constantly refill the dishes. Yesterday he rarely came out of the next box, spent pretty much all day in there with mom and babies. I was in the room for hours last night and never once saw him or her come out.
I tapped on the box, made some noises and usually they will come storming out but, nothing. I lifted the lid and they were both cuddled up with the babies.
I noticed this morning that their food was not touched. I arranged it last night in a way that I would know if someone ate.
So I refreshed everything, fresh water and still, no one came out.
I'm concerned that the babies are not getting enough food and I feel like it's too early to pull them. They range from 10 days to 6-7 days old. I have had to feed younger than 10 days, but I don't like it. I did hear the babies crying a lot during the night, but that is nothing new.
I've just never seen him spend so much time in there. This is their second time having babies in two years and this behavior doesn't seem right.
I even cleaned out their cage this morning and that didn't get their attention, normally they try to kill me.

Any suggestions? Or am I just worrying too much?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
If you hear the babies crying in there and it does not look like they are being fed, I would pull them...it could also be that she laid some more eggs, which is called double clutching....I think you have a reason to be concerned.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
He finally came out and mom poked her head out. I finally got a better look at the babies. The two oldest look great, even getting some fuzz. The youngest two were under them, so I can't tell how they are. I wasn't able to check their crops though without lifting them.
Called my vet, he suggested taking the 10 day old babies now and leaving the two youngest to better watch them. He's worked with my birds before and these parents.
I'm going to set up my brooder, get it warm and probably end up doing that.
He also said that they could be getting ready to lay another clutch... So I will have to watch them and pull the eggs and box. They need a long break and so will I.
Right now I am just watching and waiting to see if the parents will feed them, I'll give it another hour.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I'd definitely check their crops before deciding to pull them or not.
If they are not being fed, then pull the oldest ones (like your vet said) and watch the youngest ones to see if they are being fed.
If not, then you'll need to pull them all.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Just waiting for the brooder and my humidifier to get to where they need to be. It's steady once it get there but, takes awhile to reach perfection.
The oldest babies are laying right on top of the smaller ones, so I have a feeling that they are not being reached. He said that taking the older ones may give the parents easier access to the younger babies. I hope. Otherwise I am taking them too. Not a huge clutch but may be still overwhelming for the parents, they have only ever had two prior to this.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Awe I hope things get better it would be so nerve wrecking to have babies not being fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.