• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Someone has been busy

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
We found an egg last week from Quackerina, she showed no interest and we disposed. Today I came home to make them lunch and when they flew into cage she casually dropped one and dug into lunch. The A/V said to add more calcium, so they had egg white mixed with brown rice/quinoa and FD peas and pinch of ground egg shell mixed in.

I think we are going to do the 7 day/12 hour sleep in complete darkness again as she stopped laying eggs after.

PXL_20211207_234856467~3.jpg

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm getting confused, last year she sat on her eggs for about a week and was very protective. We replaced with dummy eggs and she spent 3 weeks sitting on and then just ignored them.

This year both eggs she just laid and ignored, we took to vet and both are not fertile, she attacks Bubble ( he humps everything) if he trys to hump her. Can she tell that the eggs are duds?

Tonight was her first night of 12 hours in darkness, I had her alone but her and Bubble screamed for 3 hours and we moved them into a double pak o bird with a mesh sepererator so they could sleep together.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Can she tell that the eggs are duds?
No.
When the eggs are laid, the fertile ones are like the unfertile ones. They need to be brooded (sat on) to start developing, even those that could be fertile will never develop if the hen won´t sit on them. So you won´t know if your eggs were fertile or not.
One of my lovebird girls doesn´t bother with her eggs, she lays them and I can remove because she has no interest, but there was one time a couple of years ago, while Sydney was still settkling in to living with her, he had his sleep box (essentially a nest box he had since a baby he would sleep in) and she made a nest in there and sat on eggs with him. Obviously that was removed and she never sat on any other eggs more than a few days, now she doesn´t sit at all.

Quackerina either doesn´t feel the natural instict to sit on eggs, or simply doesn´t want to for some reason.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
No.
When the eggs are laid, the fertile ones are like the unfertile ones. They need to be brooded (sat on) to start developing, even those that could be fertile will never develop if the hen won´t sit on them. So you won´t know if your eggs were fertile or not.
One of my lovebird girls doesn´t bother with her eggs, she lays them and I can remove because she has no interest, but there was one time a couple of years ago, while Sydney was still settkling in to living with her, he had his sleep box (essentially a nest box he had since a baby he would sleep in) and she made a nest in there and sat on eggs with him. Obviously that was removed and she never sat on any other eggs more than a few days, now she doesn´t sit at all.

Quackerina either doesn´t feel the natural instict to sit on eggs, or simply doesn´t want to for some reason.
Mahalo for the info!