• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some questions

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
A woman I met today asked if I’d be interested in taking in her bird. This is becoming a common theme lately. Personal speaking info have a lot of birds. One more isn’t a big deal to me. I just have no experience with this species and in general wonder about it. It’s not even a kind of parrot I ever considered. I’m trying to learn now, but it’s not a done and said thing either. I’ve informed her about by general flock care and showed her two of my other birds via photo and stories about some of my adoptions. I also asked if she’d be wanting some kind of referral from my vet. I did not propose a rehome fee has this isn’t something I can swing when I’d need to consider a cage, toys, a vet appointment, and foods.
Anyway, she is an older woman who’s been unable to place her galah with family due to age. Before I step into this kind of adoption can anyone give me advice on 22 year old female galah parrots and how they would interact with a flock? From my understanding her bird has never been caged, is single bird in the home, and has only ever been with this woman and her daughter.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you refresh my memory as to what other types of birds you have? If the bird has never been cages, living in a cage may be a bit of a shock to it and will likely need time to adjust. I consider galahs more mellow than other cockatoos but obviously, still a 'too. I think they're very beautiful birds.

@Tanya @Nancy B

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Indian Ring Neck - Jade
Parakeets - Sadie and Sunny
Cockatiel - Romeo aka Tidus
Lovebirds - Quartz Blare Celes Amore Royal
Sparrows - Bat Rag Libby Ali
Starlings - Inee and Messy
Sometimes my hen - Solo

I am more then willing to adapt to any birds needs so I’m trying to work this out in my head. My high drama bird of this entire flock is likely Romeo.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm curious what type of relationship you envision with this bird?
A Galah is too large for your current birds to be out with them, it could easily hurt them.
So would this bird be in a different area? Are you other birds a flock that are, or can be out together?
How much time and attention do you give your current birds?
Galah's are one of the less demanding of Toos, but still would do very poorly if in an isolated environment.
And less demanding for a Too, is still much more needy than you may be used to.
Especially one that is the devoted center of it's owner's world.
My biggest fear would be the bird being emotionally devastated in a busy household where it must be caged a good portion of the time.

Of course it may fit in without a hitch, but that's a huge gamble.
Would she allow a few short weekend trials?

And a 22 year old Galah is not an old bird (were you referencing the owner perhaps?).
If nothing else, do you have a network of bird folk that may be a better fit if the owner must relinquish her bird?

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Cockatoos, from what I understand...are the HARDEST birds.

Your experience is great, and no offence they are mostly soft billed to low point beak if there was a scale...lol.

First you need to consider, WHY, this person is so willing to hand over her baby...? She just met you today!? *red flag*

Secondly, are you willing to take in all the drama, the violence (i expect there will be alot from this bird) not only on you, but your family and ALL your other feather babies.

This is not a decision to be taken lightly, obviously the owner that wants to hand him off took in that role without knowing the hardship that could come from it.

Sadly these birds get rehomed so often, that i'm worried you are taking on more than your amazingly kind heart can realistically deal with. And it would be absolutely gut wrenching if this bird got re-homed twice in a row when you realize you've bitten off more than you can chew. Or the bird has bitten more then it can chew...off you....

Do your research....dont jump in trying to be a hero until you know what you are jumping into.

A multiple re-homing is terrible for birds, especially the crazy Too's

Last edited:

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My goal for this birds sake is to find a home. If I end up taking on this girl it will only be if I have vet and personal assistance. Toos are a family bird much like many others and if I am unable to do the job I have several cousins that can. Or I’ll network here first. Regardless I want to do what’s best for the bird.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
It seems like your mind is made up. Not sure why you asked our opinion if you had clearly already made the decision to take in the birds care.

Cocktaoos are everything but what your current flock are so I wish you all the best luck and positive thought. Honestly, it won't be easy... I have faith in your commitment.

Either way, and in the end. It's your choice. Nobody needs to convince you or try to persuade you of your already made decision.

Best of luck to you and the bird.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Reading back on your old posts, I really think you have your hands full with your current flock.
IMO you'd be better off not taking on this Cockatoo.
Try and help her find a home where it will be the only bird, or perhaps one with another small Too.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I think I agree with you macawpower58. Cockatoos seem like a lot of work beyond what I can offer and I really don’t want to add another bird to my flock. I’ll do my best to help her find some one with better experience or a rescue.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Can you refresh my memory as to what other types of birds you have? If the bird has never been cages, living in a cage may be a bit of a shock to it and will likely need time to adjust. I consider galahs more mellow than other cockatoos but obviously, still a 'too. I think they're very beautiful birds.

@Tanya @Nancy B
They are more mellow. At least my Fred is. They're also more independent and are not velcro birds. They are considered the least cuddly of all the cockatoo species but do have their moments where they do want affection from their humans.