• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some photos of my Scarlet Chested Parakeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Here are some photos I took of my Scarlet Chested Parakeet, "Peeper". He's just about a year old now and he finally seems to have moulted into his adult coloration (so if you have one of these - be patient!).

Peeper's moult seemed to have taken forever. He couldn't fly for a while but now he is back "on the wing", enjoying flying around my house and sunroom, with my Rosy Bourke, "Twitter".

Here is Twitter, my Bourke. Twitter is much friendlier and bolder than Peeper, my Scarlet Chested. Twitter flies over to me and sits on my shoulder, a hundred times a day. Peeper still doesn't fly to me but he's comfortable sitting on my finger or arm (if I go to him) and he will nibble my face, nose, and glasses, as well as preen my hair... so we're working on it!

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
Both of your fabies are beautiful. Thaanks for sharing!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I love both of them....Thank you so much for your beautiful pictures...they have such sweet personalities...low key but they let you know they are around!:dancing::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
beautiful birds!!!!!!!!!

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
beautiful babies!!:heart:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
beautiful colors!!! :heart:

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
That is the most beautiful keet I have ever seen!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Both of them are very pretty!

Matt

SarahJo

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah Nelson
Wow!

They are both gorgeous!
I am just now looking into grass keets but I think bourkes, splendid and red rumps the most :)
They make good pets as well as aviary birds?

Sarah

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
SarahJo,

Sorry I took so long to reply - I didn't notice your reply.

I've only had one Bourke and one Splendid so I can't talk for all of them but my 2 are nice pets. The Bourke is way more out-going with a stronger personality. She flies over to me all the time and "visits", while I watch TV. She will also run over to me if I lay down on the floor. She was hand-raised but six months old when I got her so she had to be re-tamed a little. At first, she only wanted to go back to her cage but suddenly, after I'd had her 3 months or so, she became very friendly.

My Splendid (Scarlet Chested) was also an older hand-raised baby but has stayed much more reserved - not especially bonded with me but not unfriendly either. He will sit on my finger but rarely flies over to me on his own. However, he likes baby green peas and hemp seed and will flie over and eat those out of my hand when I have some.

Both were still partly wing-clipped when I got them but now both are fully-winged. They are pretty smart and love to fly - they know how to get around my house and back to their cages. Full flight also makes them a little independent so they do what they want. I personally am OK with that but it might not work for everyone's situation. Luckily, they are good about going back to their cages after some free flight time.

So if you want a really cuddley parrot, that likes to be petted and rolled over on its back, these might not be for you. But if you want something like a budgie or cockatiel personality-wise but with more interesting colors, a hand-raised Bourke is something I would recommend. As for the Scarlet Chested, if you are OK with a more reserved bird - that is tame but not especially bonded to you - a hand-raised one might work for you.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I must have missed this post before. They are gorgeous! I love bourkes, aren't they the best?? I love your bird room too:) What a great, light bright room for them!

Eliza

Jogging around the block
More pictures of Peeper and Twitter, Ron! You have such vibrant, happy 'keets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.