• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Solstice's progress

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
I decided to just start a thread for my new 2-3 month old lovebird. I just got her yesterday from a pet store, she was parent raised. She has eaten some. She did come out of her cage just now, at some millet spray I was holding. She is a fearless little thing, tried to attack my big lizard though his tank glass (which I will now be covering so she can't see him) and is now sitting back in her cage (her choice) making beak grinding noise. Hopefully they are content noises and she's not upset :shrug:

P. S. She just started preening so I think we are good lol

Attachments

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
I would also like advice on how to handle her biting. She's a baby so I get everything goes into the mouth / beak lol and I know not to react or make a big scene about it. But if she's chewing hard enough to break skin how to I discourage that?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
making beak grinding noise. Hopefully they are content noises
:wewin: ;)

. But if she's chewing hard enough to break skin how to I discourage that?
Try not to get yourself into that spot where she is biting you. It´s likely more ¨beaking¨, exploring, and means no malice, but try to take note of when she does it, and going forward remove yourself from those situations.
For eg. She bites when you use the (computer) mouse - Solution, don´t use the mouse while she´s out.
Or, she bites when the millet runs out - solution, as soon as you see her take the last mouthful, remove the empty millet stem
Or, She bites after an hour out of the cage - try to get her back in before that hour, or introduce a new toy/foraging activity just before that hour.

I like to have toys/toy parts nearby to play with, and a small stand with toys on so they can choose to play alone on the stand or in the cage, or come over to play with toys together.
Foraging activities will help keep their mind entertained, and will help lots reducing the biting.
Stick with it now, and they will likely grow out of it when they mature.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Or, she bites when the millet runs out - solution,
It was while she was eating the millet I was holding. She decided to chew on my finger. She's def attracted to my nails so I've been trying to keep them down and out of sight lol. Omg I can't believe how inquisitive and fearless she is!! So different than my cockatiel

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
OK! She is eating the nutriberries and OMGosh :excited1:I was spying on her while at work today on the camera I put in front of her cage. Wow was a super busy bee!! So high strung! So very different from my cockatiel who is suspicious of anything new and doesn't really olay with toys. This little lady is so very inquisitive and needs to keep busy now that she's coming out of her shell! I haven't handled her tonight just sitting by her cage while she goes in and out playing and eating.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
OK does anyone else's birds like to sleep hanging from the bars? I don't think she's slept on a perch once since I've brought her home, but will be on the perches during the day... It looks so uncomfortable!!! Also her new cage came!!! She had a blast exploring it :yahoo::dancing:

Attachments

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
OK does anyone else's birds like to sleep hanging from the bars? I don't think she's slept on a perch once since I've brought her home, but will be on the perches during the day... It looks so uncomfortable!!! Also her new cage came!!! She had a blast exploring it :yahoo::dancing:
Loki only sleeps on the side when she is unfamiliar with her surroundings. If I make a change to her night cage she will sleep clinging onto the side of the cage for a few days.

BirdWorld

Spring sleeps hanging from the ceiling :lol:I thought it was just her! (she's a budgie :) )

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Loki only sleeps on the side when she is unfamiliar with her surroundings. If I make a change to her night cage she will sleep clinging onto the side of the cage for a few days.
Some of mine do this after shuffling the cage for the same reasons. Usually only for a night though :)

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Video of my little one tonight. I've had a bad afternoon and these shenanigans are putting a smile on my face. She is eating great (nutriberries)! Very active and curious. I offer her a bite of millet spray if she is loose and comes near me, also when I feed breakfast and say good night or any other time I go in the cage. Otherwise I've kept my fingers to myself lol her mouthing hurts! :shocked3:

Attachments

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Ugh OK soo Solstice is doing great. Except she's a chompy chewy little thing :cry: when ever I have time I open her cage doors and sit on the floor infront of her cage and just hang out and last night she flew onto my knee and ate millet off me! Went back on her stand, flew back to me a bit later. Got a little annoyed with being videod so chased my phone. So I moved that outta reach and she's still exploring my lap, nibbles my shirt, pant strings etc, I had my arm across my chest to keep her from climbing up me since I don't want her near my face yet and she was even nibbling my arm hair all nice and gentle. But then decided to chew on my arm like a pup with a chew toy :sad4:

I know you said dont put yourself in a situation where she bites right now but I don't want to dissuade her from coming to me and exploring but if she's going to come and bite me that's not good. I know she's only a baby but I don't know how to handle the biting. My cockatiel was completely different, he bites but not like I'm a chew toy. Please any advice!!! (I know the bites could be worse but want to head off any worse before it happens hopefully!)

She's like the Jack Russell of birds :laughin:tiny, tenacious, always on the move and looking for a job lolol. P. S. I love dogs, not making fun of Russell's, I work at an animal hospital :heart:

Attachments

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
If she bites hard in a not fun way, put her down and turn your back for a minute. This is showing her she is not getting attention for biting, and because she is a flock animal, sends out a clear no.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you allow that chewing now, you are setting the bar and telling her it is ok, which it is not.
If she´s on your arm and starts doing this, lower your arm and put her on your knee, or have a stand by you to put her on, and ignore her for a half minute. She will likely hop right back after and try again, but repeat as she does this and she will learn that when she bites, she gets ignored.
Having some shreddables near the millet may help you too.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Thanks @budgieluv3 ! I did use a perch to get her off me as I didn't want her to redirect from my arm to fingers. Glad to know that was right and I just need to stick with it!

Thanks @Zara ! I will keep at it! Having other toys around is a good idea, maybe I will shred some paper at work to have more biteable play things on me that are not me lol. Do you think I shouldn't be sitting on the floor? When she's up on her cage it puts her quite a bit above me, maybe I should be on a chair?

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you think I shouldn't be sitting on the floor? When she's up on her cage it puts her quite a bit above me, maybe I should be on a chair?
What is that to the left? A bed? Could you sit there? :)

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Just swapped out her toys since she's been here 2 weeks already!!! My other bird would get sooo upset when the cage or toys got changed and would not go near any new ones. I love her curious little spirit! Wasn't even much concerned about the vacuum!

Attachments

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
So Solstice has jumped on me multiple times tonight while I was sitting next to her cage! But the second she's on my hand she's starts biting me :sad2: and she also kept flying onto my shoulder which I can't let her because I don't want her bitey beak near my face!! She is also just super mouthy in general so I'm not sure if it's a baby thing or just an attitude thing. Hers a video of her just mouthing my clothes and her rope and toys. Should I not let her mouth my clothes either??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Your bird is very curious and very playful.
She is beaking your clothes (and everything else she can) in exploration. Notice how she beaks everything she passed, the thing on your arm, your clothes, the toy in the cage, the stand on top and finally the bells.

A few things to try....

1.put a perch there on that part of the front of the cage where she slipped, near the inside rope perch, to help her climb up.

2. Put a perch on the outside side of the cage closest to you, at a night height.

3. Put an interesting toy hanging from the outside side of the cage just above and infront of the perch, so that she can perch there and play with the toy.

4. Try playing with some toys where you are sat. For eg. A small plastic kitten ball, or wiffle ball, you can roll it around and ¨play football¨.

5. You could also offer some small shreddables, and some other little fidgeters,to play with near you.
Some examples:
When shopping for bird toys, don´t skip over the ¨foot toys¨(because lovebirds don´t hold toys in their feet), because they will be great as ¨beak toys¨.

6. Introduce foragers. If you do this out of the cage when you are interacting with her, teaching her how to forage, then later you can add foraging to the cage and you will have more options (because we can´t just offer any foraging activity, it needs to be some thing realistic that they can acheive or it may stress them out trying to complete it).