• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing/training Lovie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovieBird

Meeting neighbors
I'm a dog/cat person. I've worked with dogs and dog rescue for almost 9 years now and I've been working with cats for at least 5 years. I can tell you within seconds of meeting both species what type of personality it has and how it'll react to you... BUT I know zip about birds. So if I use a dog-word that the bird world has other names for please do correct me or ask if you don't know what I mean..

I know a lot of the body language I read from Lovie right now is confusing me (ex. when humans smile its friendly, when monkies smile its threatening). I decided this morning to spend some time as suggested just hanging out with her. I opened her cage doors so she could come out if she wanted (she didn't) and I sat on the floor near her cage and read.

Then once she seemed settled I tried seeing if I could get her to step up on a perch.. I thought this was a natural response? I've always seen (at Busch Gardens and Lorikeet Landing) the birds just step up when something was put in front of them and lightly tapped on their (belly?) She LOST IT. I didn't even get as far as putting the perch next to the other one and she started hissing so i waited until she stopped and settled down and the second I moved it again she started screaming and flapping her wings to get away..

When I train the dogs- we just keep doing the exercise over and over, if I want them to sit, I convince them to do the natural behavior and praise them.
When I train the cats- The stubborn brats eventually do the natural behavior- then they are praised by me leaving them alone :rofl: ( My male tom cat learned how to walk on a leash and how to high five for treats this way)

How do I train this bird to step up? I don't understand their psychology so I'm not sure if I can be pushy or if I have to treat them as if they're a feral cat or as if they're wild hippos..

Thank you in advanced for your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.