• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So, now that he trusts me more... how do I trust him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clackey02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christina
I love Cabo (our one and only bird, a GCC). I really do. And he's learning what I do and do not like as well. What has worked for me is to spend very little time trying to get him to do what I want and spend most of my time with him learning what he likes. For example, he does not like to step up right away when I open his cage door. Instead, he likes to come out for a few minutes and then step up from the top of his door. Fine. Sometimes I will offer my finger and offer him "step up" and he goes for me with his beak (he used to bite, now he does a s-l-o-w lunge so I have time to move). So he doesn't step up. Fine. I come back in a few minutes and he'll put his foot out and tell me step up. Great. He sits on my finger or forearm, he occasionally grooms me. He does lots of "pretty bird" for me. Awesome. It's actually funny. He knows I melt for "pretty bird," so he does it any time he does not want to "go home" (which is how we tell him to go into his cage), he does pretty bird and gets a few extra minutes with me. So smart!

But to get to this point, we've all been bitten. And I definitely find that they best way for him not to bite is to- well, not bite. And I understand that birdie bites are a part of birdie love, but I'm just having a really hard time moving forward from here. I want to cuddle with Cabo, but he rarely lets me pet him at all. I want to sit with him and relax, but if he gets on my shoulder he tends to bite or complain in my ear when I try to get him off. So, we're kind of at am impasse. I'm not sure when and how to try to let him get closer to me. I find myself either standing near his cage with him or sitting on the edge of a chair on high alert because he gets so bossy when he's anywhere but on my fingers or hands. Since I'm not fully relaxing, that means he can't either, I would assume. And it also means he's not getting as much time as he could be with me each day. Make no mistake, this bird does get lots of attention and out-of-cage time, but I'd like there to be more relaxing time. He rings his bell near his door and wants to be with us all the time. He does like us, just... not that much?

What should I try next to provide him and us with the richest relationship possible? I know there are some of you who will have great advice. :) Looking forward to some new tips and things to try!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
First of all, you need to perch train your baby; train him to step up on a dowel and you avoid the step up bite. Once he is perch trained you can also use the perch to get him off your shoulder without a bite. I never step Trixie Meyers up on my hand initially; she always bites: I step her up on the perch and from the perch to my hand, then my shoulder. The same is true with my shoulder; step up on the perch only. Some birds are just biteyer than others and my Trix is one of these.

Do you have a play gym you can put close to you and the family when everyone is socializing so the bird can be near all of you but not on you? That way the bird can be with the family but not biting the family and more socialization will help with decreasing the biting. If you do not have a play gym, you can substitute a large easter-type basket with toys in the bottom and treats on the sides. Baskets also make great portable play gyms and you can take him room to room with you if you wish. Sunshine used to love touring the house in her basket.

clackey02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christina
Wow, that basket idea is great! I want to get him a play gym ASAP, but money is tight right now so it will probably be another month or two before I can afford it. I will try the basket idea this week for sure, although he is pretty adventurous and he might just get out. :lol:I have a couple toys he has not has access to yet though, so those may keep him interested for a little while. His cage is in the living/dining room, so he is around us all, all the time. He has some toys and things on and around his cage and he is very comfortable playing there, even if the kids are going back in forth in front. They sit next to the cage and read to him too.

As far as the stick idea, it sounds great. And I did try that for a while, but he seems to super hate sticks. He'll bite them and run away. I have only gotten him to step onto a stick a couple times and they were when he'd coasted to the floor and he was scared. I've tried different thicknesses and things of dowel... should I bake and try a real wood stick? My husband takes trees down for a living sooo... :dancing: that's not a problem. ;) He's pretty good with my hand now, unless he's on my shoulder. Maybe I made him sound more bite-y than he is. He's never drawn blood on me. Once on my husband, but that is all and it was quite a while ago.

I really appreciate your input! I can't wait to make his basket! :laughing12:

Status
Not open for further replies.