• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So Many Macaw Ads in OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the major factor is lack of education before getting these big birds.When something goes wrong they want a quick fix or don't want to deal with it.Really sad.

Tamic332

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tami
I know its kind of mean to say or think.....but true at the same time.....how would some of these people deal with it if they had a special needs child? I think of my bird and dogs the same as my kids and couldn't just think....ohhhhh you're too much trouble now....see ya! I know there are lots of diff. situations and in some you just have NO choice....but....some of the people get rid of their pets way too easily and for crazy reasons....<stepping down off soapbox>
Lots of Macaws listed here in Indiana too....Macaws and cockatoos seem to be the top 2......but the ones around here say....ohhhh I need to find him or her a new home....quick quick....can't keep them anymore.....but no, I wont come down on the price....most are asking close to what they paid in the first place.....I have offered to a few that claim to be "desperate" to rehome that I will take them at a reduced price, ect.....they don't want to do it, but you see the same bird listed for sale week after week......sad....you wonder what kind of attention they're getting~

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
most are asking close to what they paid in the first place.....
I've noticed that some of the fees seem pretty unrealistic too. I think some of them got the bird at a pet store and are completely unaware that a handfed baby from a breeder would be a lot cheaper than the older bird they are trying to rehome. And, then, there are just the typos: A woman in WV listed her Greenwing for $12,000 a few months ago. I emailed her and said, you mean $1,200 right? "Oh, yes," she said, "oops." :) But it was written $12,000 in two different places on the ad. She was a nice enough sort, though, :) I don't know if she ever sold the GW.

DutchHillAviary

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
I have offered to a few that claim to be "desperate" to rehome that I will take them at a reduced price, ect.....they don't want to do it, but you see the same bird listed for sale week after week......sad....you wonder what kind of attention they're getting~

And then they end up at a auction...yes..in OH there is a auction house that will sell 'exotics'..highest bidder takes the bird..no questions asked. I don't think this place is to far from you Holiday.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Most of the birds on Hoobly are breeding birds, or are bred for breeding. I don't consider any of those "re home" type birds

only craigs list I consider that. since your not allowed to "sell" animals on there

but I use hoobly for all my birds I sell. Because I am selling them, I won't post birds on CL but I do put cages and other stuff there

but I've never considered hoobly anything other than for selling animals and other items

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And then they end up at a auction...yes..in OH there is a auction house that will sell 'exotics'..highest bidder takes the bird..no questions asked. I don't think this place is to far from you Holiday.
Really? Interesting. If I'm thinking correctly, would it be just north of me? There are a lot of auctions and flee markets and such up that way...

Most of the birds on Hoobly are breeding birds, or are bred for breeding. I don't consider any of those "re home" type birds

only craigs list I consider that. since your not allowed to "sell" animals on there

but I use hoobly for all my birds I sell. Because I am selling them, I won't post birds on CL but I do put cages and other stuff there

but I've never considered hoobly anything other than for selling animals and other items
All of the ones I mentioned in my original post were pets, Kelli. I skipped over the breeders. I don't look on CL much because you can't sort the listings by type of pet and because there's not much on there for the more rural areas.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Really? Interesting. If I'm thinking correctly, would it be just north of me? There are a lot of auctions and flee markets and such up that way...

All of the ones I mentioned in my original post were pets, Kelli. I skipped over the breeders. I don't look on CL much because you can't sort the listings by type of pet and because there's not much on there for the more rural areas.

since when can you sort on hoobly? between Pet and breeder?? I never knew that I just look at Birds in the U.S. then I go to Just Indiana but lately nothing much has been on Indiana for what we're looking for anyway. Lots and lots of finches - not interested in finches :) or most of the ad's for Indiana that are new and updated are mine LOL -don't wanna buy from myself:hehe:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
since when can you sort on hoobly? between Pet and breeder?? I never knew that I just look at Birds in the U.S. then I go to Just Indiana but lately nothing much has been on Indiana for what we're looking for anyway. Lots and lots of finches - not interested in finches :) or most of the ad's for Indiana that are new and updated are mine LOL -don't wanna buy from myself:hehe:

No, I meant like between dog and bird, or between macaw and cockatoo. You have to read the ad to see if it's a pet. Most of the ones for macaws in the last two weeks here are for pets.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I know its kind of mean to say or think.....but true at the same time.....how would some of these people deal with it if they had a special needs child? I think of my bird and dogs the same as my kids and couldn't just think....ohhhhh you're too much trouble now....see ya! I know there are lots of diff. situations and in some you just have NO choice....but....some of the people get rid of their pets way too easily and for crazy reasons....<stepping down off soapbox>
Lots of Macaws listed here in Indiana too....Macaws and cockatoos seem to be the top 2......but the ones around here say....ohhhh I need to find him or her a new home....quick quick....can't keep them anymore.....but no, I wont come down on the price....most are asking close to what they paid in the first place.....I have offered to a few that claim to be "desperate" to rehome that I will take them at a reduced price, ect.....they don't want to do it, but you see the same bird listed for sale week after week......sad....you wonder what kind of attention they're getting~

On Craigslist have you seen the woman posting the 2 different amazons (one ad just 2 types inside it) for the last 7-8 months, Was 3 amazons supposedly she sold one for the high price she was asking

she had the nerve to accuse me of Flagging her:rofl:

I never flagged her, I was just responding to some one who was asking why their Bird ad is always being flagged(didn't flag them either) Just I got bored one night and read through the help section on flagging and found out why a lot of the ads get flagged. SO i was passing on the info and get accused of being the one flagging in the mean time LOL

but the Amazons was put on again today the 1st one will be 1 yr old "on Aug. 25th" I just rolled my eyes and said "Copy and paste much" Since this is the 28th LOL

but she does post them in every town in Indiana (one reason they probably flag her only supposed to post in your town not every town in the state)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

No, I meant like between dog and bird, or between macaw and cockatoo. You have to read the ad to see if it's a pet. Most of the ones for macaws in the last two weeks here are for pets.
Oh ok i thought they added a new feature I didn't know about :o:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

That would be a great feature. I wish they would do that...

yes it would :)

I'd say we should bring it to their attention but They don't have a way of contacting them I tried yesterday because I want to become verified, and i used my cell number and my b/f's never got a code texted to either phone

So I went to their face book page and left a thing on their wall STILL no response to why I can't get a code to be verified

Tamic332

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tami
Kelli....i still laugh at craigslist ads when people post something for an outrageous price and when you point out the "no selling" policy they say....Im not...its worth much more~ lmao

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Kelli....i still laugh at craigslist ads when people post something for an outrageous price and when you point out the "no selling" policy they say....Im not...its worth much more~ lmao

same here, and I've posted time and time again How their so called "re homing" fee are a joke I've seen ads for a cockatiel that they want TWICE the amount a breeder sells for or sometimes even the pet shop

but just a few weeks ago I sold an Adult Male Grey who talked $50...... I've seen Adult Grey tiels on there for up to $200 FOR JUST THE BIRD.. no cage, no nothing just the bird

That i do believe is even higher than our local pet shop prices

I know pet smart had a Pearl Cockatiel one time when i was in there (a few years ago) $149 I sold my exact same mutation only younger and hand fed $60

The "small re homing" fees on there are jokes

but I did come across one I forget where it was now, it was 2 Sun Conures and cage if you bought both birds and the cage you got it all for I think $200 But I do remember making a comment to my b/f "now that is a true Rehoming fee" She had the birds listed Seperatly with price as well, and If you would of bought it that way plus the cage it would of been way more than $200

I also like the ads that state "Don't try to low ball me I know what the bird is worth" - I sit here and say well then Take it and sell it at a pet shop and see if they give you what you want out of it...... that answer would be NO... they buy them for less(even from Normal pet owners) and sell them for Double if not triple the price

I had a pet store contact me wanting to buy my $10 budgies for $3 a piece (I had roughly 18 or so to sell) .. I said " why so you can turn around and sell them for $20, No thanks" and hung up on them
Now I do make "package deals" when some one wants more than one, But not at no 3 bucks a piece so they can turn around and sell them for more - I only do that for normal Pet owners.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Stacy..i feel you 5 macaws here extra not including my own Macaws and all the other birds..food bills,toys and vet bills are killing me..:mad:

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Yeah - the re-homing fees are outrageous at times. I love it when they go "but the cage itself is worth that!" But the picture shows a run down cage that would need to be replaced anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.