• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sneezing ringneck dove

Romulus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone. I have four ringneck doves (4-5 years old) one of which is sneezing A LOT. He has these sneezing fits multiple times throughout the day where he sneezes every ten seconds or so, and he sneezes randomly inbetween these sneezing fits as well.
Even the slightest pressure on his nostrils causes him to sneeze immediately. The nostrils are a bit swollen and slightly red compared to my other birds' nares.
Nothing seems to be coming out when he sneezes, but when applying pressure to his nostrils, some clear fluid with the teensiest amount of white mucus comes out. Doesn't white mucus indicate a viral infection?

This has been going on for about six months. The first couple of months I tried different methods to make him feel better (I bought an air purifier and an air humidifier, cleaned their cage fully every day, started giving them the daily essentials 1 vitamin/mineral, adding more fresh vegetables to their diet, raised room temperature), but nothing worked. I took him to a vet, and all she did was look into his mouth and gave me antibiotics to give him. I administered the course of antibiotics to him as instructed, but it didn't work. The vet told me that the next thing to do is to perform an endoscopy and an x-ray, which costs 500€, which is something I cannot afford just like that.

None of the other doves are sick. Apart from the sneezing, the sick dove has been acting completely normal all throughout this: eating, drinking, pooping, socializing, vocalizing and preening as usual. It feels strange to me somehow that the next step after antibiotics is endoscopy and x-ray. I would like to get a second opinion on this, but there are no other exotic animal vets nearby.

What should I do? Thank you in advance for your answers.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew