• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneezing + Clear discharge

Kwaki

Moving in
Real Name
Noe
Hello,

At the end of September, we noticed that our conure was having sneezing fits with a clear liquid discharge. We took him to an avian veterinarian who stated that he was in good health and prescribed nebulization with saline solution for about fifteen days, along with a vitamin regimen. At the end of the treatment, he showed no more symptoms.

However, after three weeks, the symptoms reappeared. So, we decided to resume the treatment, but this time it doesn't seem to be effective. Besides that, he has no other symptoms, hasn't lost weight, appears to be in good shape, eats well, doesn't make any unusual noise while breathing (except when he seems to catch his breath after sneezing, a slight suction sound), his droppings are normal, and the fits don't occur all day. But at some point, he starts scratching his beak, then sneezes several times, with a little liquid after a while.

We thought it could be due to lack of humidity, but our hygrometer shows an average of 52%. We have made an appointment to see the veterinarian again, but we were wondering if anyone has been in this situation before and has advice or insights into what it might be, as we feel a bit helpless. Could it be that he is just more sensitive in the nose than his two companions, or is it as serious as some information found on the internet suggests, even though he seems to be in top shape?

Thanks in advance!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:

is there a set time he’s going it ? Is it consistent or odd times ?
Mine will sneeze after a bath but that’s because he sticks his head right under tap or if he baths in his bowl sticks his head in and throws water up

but then I would think if meds made a difference last time something is doing on and you have done right booking another appointment

what age is he ? Diet ? Is he normal in himself eating drinking ?
Might help others answer
@webchirp @pixie beak might be able to help better

Kwaki

Moving in
Real Name
Noe
Hello, thank you for your reply ! No, not at a specific time; it's more at unusual moments, not particularly after he has taken his bath (although it happens then too). He is less than a year and a half old, eats pellets, vegetables, fruits, and occasionally a seed mix because he still really likes that. His water and food consumption seem normal.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I have a caique who sneezes a lot, with clear discharge. The closest vet in my area who will see birds is 120 miles away. A friend suggested using a humidifier, in her room. These are rainforest birds and need humidity to function properly. 52% is fine for people, but I try to keep mine around 60%. or above. The air also gets really dry in my area in the winter...so the humidifier helps me avoid getting bloody nose due to dryness. Get one that can be easily cleaned weekly. I have a Crane Drop 2.0 humidifier, where you can take it totally apart to disinfect everything weekly. You can get these at Amazon.com

Last edited:

Kwaki

Moving in
Real Name
Noe
I have a caique who sneezes a lot, with clear discharge. The closest vet in my area who will see birds is 120 miles away. A friend suggested using a humidifier, in her room. These are rainforest birds and need humidity to function properly. 52% is fine for people, but I try to keep mine around 60%. or above. The air also gets really dry in my area in the winter...so the humidifier helps me avoid getting bloody nose due to dryness. Get one that can be easily cleaned weekly. I have a Crane Drop 2.0 humidifier, where you can take it totally apart to disinfect everything weekly. You can get these at Amazon.com
Hello, that's a good idea, I will try this !
For how long have you been using this, and is your caique improving, or does he still have sneezing with discharge?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I've been running my humidifier through the summer this year, so probably since July. Now I've turned it from "low" to "medium" for winter. She's still sneezy a bit, but the discharge has reduced. She's never acted like a sick bird and neither have any of my other birds who share her room (my living room). I have found that my caiques like to stick their talon in their nose...and that results in a bit of sneezing! Caiques are such silly birds!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welcomegroup:

Hi ,
I'm really glad you have consult and plan to consult with an avian veterinarian again.

The diet sounds great. @Emma&pico asked because nutrition can be linked with so many health issues. Especially respiratory due to low vitamin A , from all seed diet . All peppers are a great source of beta carotene/vitamin A, like yellow/orange/ red bell pepper. Cooked sweet potatoes are also a great source.

My experience is chronic multiple sneezes in a day is always health issues. It could be helpful to a veterinarian nasal flush of sinus, collected and culture and cytology, plus if there happens to be debris stuck can flush out. It's done awake , a simple common proceedure with low risk . Another common infection, especially in young birds, is avian clymadia, it would not be cultured from sinus flush or swab, needs special testing. Unfortunately this infection has a lot of false negatives, and can be difficult to confirm. So often veterinarian will just go ahead and treat for it with 45 days of doxycycline ( only antibiotics effective against it) if they suspect this infection.

Give this a read

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Did your vet run any tests?

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
BB was doing much the same with the same from the vet. I had drops for him and they help BUT in a couple of weeks after I stop them he was sneezing again.

The funny thing is After he got his new cage and I did a "Deep Clean" of the bird/computer room his sneezing has gone away. I now thing it is dust. His old cage was a monster to clean and when I say "Deep Clean" I mean every thing in there. Base boards, closets and everything in them. Book Shelves, and the books. I even set the Robovac/mop to start doing their room now that I figured out how to set up a "No Go Zone" under their cages (I'll use the shop vacuum for that).

Within a week no more sneezing. Could it just be allergies? I think it could as I notice I feel better myself and I have COPD. :bliss:

No don't think I'm saying your a slob! :cry3: Because I'm not but birds make a huge mess and the dust they make gets EVERYWHERE!

Major PITA I know but worth a shot.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
BB was doing much the same with the same from the vet. I had drops for him and they help BUT in a couple of weeks after I stop them he was sneezing again.

The funny thing is After he got his new cage and I did a "Deep Clean" of the bird/computer room his sneezing has gone away. I now thing it is dust. His old cage was a monster to clean and when I say "Deep Clean" I mean every thing in there. Base boards, closets and everything in them. Book Shelves, and the books. I even set the Robovac/mop to start doing their room now that I figured out how to set up a "No Go Zone" under their cages (I'll use the shop vacuum for that).

Within a week no more sneezing. Could it just be allergies? I think it could as I notice I feel better myself and I have COPD. :bliss:

No don't think I'm saying your a slob! :cry3: Because I'm not but birds make a huge mess and the dust they make gets EVERYWHERE!

Major PITA I know but worth a shot.
I agree I do mine every 4months walls everything and can’t believe mess that’s hidden behind cages on walls etc

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I use shower curtains behind the cages. I hang them from the little clear command hooks. Easy to wipe down and if they get chewed on cheap to replace, I paid about $20.00 for both liners and the hooks!. You can see them behind the cages.

Team Green in the new cages.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Cleaning also reduces the load of bacteria, yeast, mold ect in the environment. Some that are not normally infectious, can become so..a good example is aspergillosis, it's everywhere, a normal healthy bird with no pre existing conditions, eating nutritional diet wont develop the disease. The same bird exposed to a large amount of spores ,( often from damp , poor ventilation , lack of natural sunlight/dark) or food contamination, will.

I'm doing some deep cleaning myself. It just never ends ....I'm focusing on perches , soaking and hand washing rope, and natural wood perches. Upset at the amount of dirt soaked out, despite a routine of wiping down and cleaning ..ughhh

Kwaki

Moving in
Real Name
Noe
Hello and thank you all for your answers ! I'm back with some news :)

We saw the avian veterinarian, who observed that our little Kwaki didn't have any specific health issues.

In fact, she thinks it's allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, possibly due to the dry air and micro-dust particles. Indeed, in the room, we have a heat pump, and the onset of symptoms coincides roughly with when we started using it this year. We thoroughly cleaned the room and the heating filters. Our hygrometer consistently shows 52% humidity on average; the vet thinks it's good but suggested we could still increase the room's humidity (not too much to avoid mold).

Our little sweetheart has a treatment to follow for about fifteen days, but we're delighted to see that he's already doing better after these small changes.

The vet also recommended doing 2 to 3 nebulizations with saline solution per week, even after the end of the treatment, as he is a delicate little bird.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm so glad you saw the vet! One of the first cases of allergies I've heard of other than macaw.
What medicine is being used?

Kwaki

Moving in
Real Name
Noe
Hello Pixiebeak :)
I am in France, so I'm not sure if these medications exist outside of here, but the treatment involves nebulization with G4 (a solution based on sodium chloride and an excipient, for rehydration, I think) + Mucomyst (a powder that helps thin mucus), as well as Ronaxan tablets (for respiratory conditions).

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ok so i they are treating for a bacteria respiratory infection , that makes more sense! Though I'm sure getting dried out played a role.

Hope feeling better soon, swift recovery!

Kwaki

Moving in
Real Name
Noe
Yes, exactly !

The first time we went there two months ago, she was already hesitant to put him on antibiotics because he's still young, and it's not trivial. But since it persists, she prefers to avoid the risk of overlooking a bacterial infection