• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneezing and Nasal Discharge in Birds

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Friendly reminder to Holiday, did you receive your pre-filter?:)
I received a notice that it shipped. :) I have not yet received it.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Thank goodness mine sneeze 1x perday at most and usually not at all. Hope your birdie is ok. friend. :hug8:

I use a pair of high flow HEPA filters as well as an exhaust system at my place because I know birds need clean(er) air than most animals. This may help?

I use the Honeywell model. make sure the air exhaust doesn't blow at the bird :):):). They work wonderfully. I have ashtma and these have improved it by fifty percent. You barely have to dust your house either and it picks up all the bird dander and most small feathers. There is a permanent HEPA filter inside and a carbon impregnated prefilter wrap on the outside which you change out every three to six months they are quite affordable to run. They are loud but if you run on low setting its no big deal.

Last edited:

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Keikoa seems to have a chronic sinus issue, I will try the steamy bathroom and maybe look into a new aircleaner.
We have one, but not sure if it does anything.
Also using a humidifier, but they don't like the sound at night, so only during the day.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
This morning when I was playing with Gracie she wanted her bath so I gave her bath time. The water was a little colder than normal. Tonight when I got up for work we took her out like normal then all of sudden she started scratching her nare and yawning for a little bit out of nowhere then she stopped. It only lasted for about 5 minutes maybe. My husband is going to keep an eye on her and cover her earlier than he normally does so she can get some extra rest. Is this something we should worry about?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds are prolific scratchers, especially after bathes when things loosen up. Just keep an eye on her and warm at night. She is probably fine.:)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I will let my husband know. It' funny she attacks him but he worries so much about her it's so cute. it's been pretty warm during the day and at night we don't let our home get below 65 at night. I'll tell him to keep them temp at 70 for tonight and tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So this is a bit odd. We noticed Gracie started doing the same this as last week for the same amount of time around the same time of evening on the same day. She does kinda digs in her nose a little bit then sneezes and everything is good in her world and she goes right to sleep. It's so weird.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am going to be taking Gracie into the vet in the morning. My husband thinks she is allergic to me because she is only scratching her nose nose and preening like crazy when she is sitting on my chest. that;s her comfy spot and he's just jealous i think but whatever. I am just hoping everything goes okay I know she isn't going to be very happy with me happy with me after all this.

B&G Owner2017

Checking out the neighborhood
Another thing to note is that macaws are surprisingly more allergy prone than other pet parrots, and I can honestly vouch for it, seeing that I also have a pet rabbit (not a bunny, he is quite a bit larger than a Yorkshire Terrier :rofl:!)

Rebeccasevere

Moving in
My poor kinski severe macaw is reacting to the humidity drop and drafty cooler nights with what looks like a cold. Here nares are red and crusty, one is almost swollen shut. Vet can’t see us till tomorrow so I am using a warm wet salty rag to compress the nostrils and digging a bit with a qtip but would love suggestions for more remedies. She is happy and eating normally just sneezing and super crusty.

F0A2CB45-5BF3-4DD6-A4F4-4849D6CE37D1.jpeg

Begone2

Meeting neighbors
Hi folks. My Illiger's macaw began sounding very hoarse around a couple of months ago. His voice was distinctly affected, and I saw him sneeze up a bit of a colored discharge. There was no other sign of illness, weakness, or lethargy. He hates his travel cage, and the nearest avian vet is quite a distance away, but off we went. The vet prescribed karidox, a kind of antibiotic, once a day. You will probably have heard of it as a general antibiotic.

My bird isn't caged. He free-flies in a large room. He is also very wary of syringes and any kind of medication that might come out of them. However at dusk, he flies up to the curtain rail to sleep. I devised a routine. I placed a step ladder next to the window. Late each evening, when he was fast asleep, I would sneak in to his room, slip up the ladder, and in his drowsy state, he would accept "a wee scoosh" (a short squirt) of the required dose into his opened beak.

This went on for two months, and his voice didn't seem to improve. I found a much nearer general vet who was prepared to work on my bird under the direction of her colleague in the avian vets, thus saving the long journey, and stress on the bird. She performed a throat swab and sent it away to a laboratory for analysis. The result showed that the bird had an infection of Pasteurella. However, this was apparently sensitive to Karidox. The vet prescribed some more of the same strength, and advised to simply continue for another month, after which, if there was no improvement, we would have to return to the avian vet for further investigation.

The vet also suggested using F10 in a nebuliser. As my bird hates being contained in a small space, where a nebuliser spray would be most effective, I had to think of a way to get the spray close enough to my bird to have any effect. He loves coming into the shower with me. I decided to put a "lid" on the shower compartment, making it a kind of waterproof chamber. I take a chair in there, sit with the bird without turning on the shower, and allow the nebuliser spray to fill up the chamber. I am hoping the exposure to the F10 combined with the Karidox antibiotics will overcome his nasal/throat infection.

There isn't much information out there in the net about Pasteurella. It seems most prevalent after a bird has been bitten or injured by a cat or dog. Does anyone have experience of this bacteria? On the positive side, there was no sign of fungal or secondary infections, but I don't want to be complacent. Thanks.