• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smoker's Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Tips that worked for me--The Patch, &/or E-cigarettes, throw away all ashtrays, change of scene (be aware what your 'triggers' are that make you want a ciggie.)

I could NEVER quit 'cold turkey', & am in awe of anybody who can do it. I couldn't have done it w/out the PATCH. Never underestimate the addictiveness of nicotine. Melissa's got some great suggestions!

While you're trying to quit, make it as annoying as possible to have a cig. Smoke outside, w/a 'smoking shirt' on, cover your hair (winter hat?), wash hands, mouthwash &/or brush teeth. NEVER alter that routine. Make it a real PIA to have a smoke. Don't say 'I'll quit when this pack is gone,' because that day will NEVER come. Pick a date, buy yourself a box of full strength patches, & have an E-cig on hand for when it gets really bad. Don't mean to preach--these are things that helped me quit! Good luck to you, Kira!
:dance5:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Hi Kira
A member on here recently quit smoking with those electric cigarettes. I know nothing about them, but it sounds like a great way to quit.
Kira-I think I'm the member that Danita is talking about!I smoked for 43 years-then this past January a co worker of Mine mentioned that She was going to try the E-Cigarette(Electronic)SO I thought what the heck-I would try it also:)Before the week was out-4 other co workers were trying them! I Actually had NO plans to quit smoking-My Job is VERY STRESSFUL and quitting seemed to NOT be a possibility:(Long story short:hehe:after 2 weeks-I was the only one that had stayed away from real cigarettes:DSoon I will be 6 months cigarette free and I did NOT gain weight nor did I get any Withc'ier then I already am(at least I don't think I did:lol:I'm on the lowest nicotine that I can get here and the equivalent of one cigarette lasts me almost 4 days:)SO it is WAY Cheaper then the real ones-it does NOT have any smell or residue! I still cannot believe that I have done it:dance4::dance4::dance4: Good Luck with trying to quit and Congrats on the new Fid:hug8:

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I used to have a friend that smoked, and every time I visited her I had to scrub down and wash my hair to keep my mom from having an allergic reaction when I got back. I definitely suggest quitting entirely and making sure nothing in your house has any residue well before bringing a bird home.
She's not going to his home, as he lives 6 hours away, currently. :c We're moving into a new place, together, in October. She'll be living with me, at my parent's home, until then, which is smoke free.~

Thank you all so much for the advice and support. :D

I'm coming towards the end of my current pack, hoping to work on quitting from there. Since I currently live with my parents, I'm going to start by borrowing from them. That way, I won't have access to them whenever, and will have to hold off on the 'urge' as long as I can bear.

My fiancee has been a bit like my own personal cheerleader, praising me every time I manage to turn one down or hold off more than a few hours :heart: hoping her help will keep me on the right path :D
You know I'll always cheer ya on sweetie.~ I'm already proud of ya for posting on here and trying you best to do what's good for all of us(me, you, and our furry/feathered family), especially our girl~ :heart:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Really glad to see that electronic cigarettes is a good alternative, just in case.~ I was curious if those were safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.