• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smart birdette

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise showed a new behavior today. I have an open floor plan for the kitchen, dining room, living room, entry-so she can see most of the house from her cage and Java tree. When I leave that area, I usually tell here where I'm going/doing, e.g. "going to the bedroom to change" "Going to get a shower". "going to go do laundry" I offer her to step up and ride along. Sometimes she does, sometimes not. If I am gone for more than 5 minutes, she typically follows. I never knew if she understood when I told her where I was going, but since I started that, she has never freaked out about being left behind. Today, I walked up to her Java tree and said "I'm going to the bedroom to change"- and she took off flying to the bedroom- on the opposite end of the house requiring 2 turns. When I got there, she was settled on the top of her play stand in my bedroom. No doubt she understood. She has free flight in the house. Sometimes she will go to the kitchen sink perch, but other than flying to/following me, her java tree, or her cage, she has never flown to another room on her own (except for one fright flight from my bedroom to the masterbath-8 foot flight). 8 years and she still amazes me.