• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping Upside-Down

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I noticed that yesterday and the day before my budgie has been sleeping upside down from the ceiling. Is it something to be worried about? Is she trying to tell me something? She has quite a few perches in her cage (1 ribbonwood perch, 2 bottlebrush perches, 1 platform and toy combination perch, 2 horizontal ladders, 1 long spirally rope perch, and a "Super Bird Creations" mini bird hammock.

Thank you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have a platform perch or rope perch up high for your bird? Focus on something comfortable to his feet for perching.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Do you have a platform perch or rope perch up high for your bird? Focus on something comfortable to his feet for perching.
Yep. Most of her perches are up high since she will never go on the ones lower.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I did some thinking and I believe I know why Indie is sleeping upside down - I removed a triangle perch (The only perch in her old home :sad8:) that is unsafe, and now she is "protesting". She didn't go to bed until 10 PM last night because she was "protesting", so I put it in and she went right to sleep. I did move it to a side of the cage where she can't bite on the tassles. Any tips on "weaning" her off of it? It looks like this:

1617066951467.png

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I see 3 options.
1. Wait it out, it's doing no harm to her. She may start favouring one of the other perches.
2. You could try placing a perch right where the swing was.
3. Get her a safer swing like this:
46182-158750-54861_1.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can´t think of anything Ripshod hasn´t already said.

Cotton perches or a small boing could be used in the place of the old triangle swing.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I see 3 options.
1. Wait it out, it's doing no harm to her. She may start favouring one of the other perches.
3. Get her a safer swing like this:
View attachment 377538
On the first night I had her I actually ran out to petsmart to get that as a swing. She loves jumping back and forth from that swing to one of her other perches during the night, but she refuses to sleep on it. I did put the long dowel perch that came with her cage at the very tipy top of her cage, and she did sleep on that for one night.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I put her favorite perch back in the cage, but put it in a place where she can't pick at the tassels. The night that I didn't put it in, she didn't sleep at all.

Here is a picture of her cage if it might be helpful (I have most of her perches on a higher spot because when I had some on the bottom she would never go down to them.)

Sorry about the horrible angle, taking pictures with a laptop is hard! :D

Attachments