• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping Meyers

Nnoki'smom

Moving in
Real Name
Kathy Moore
Nnoki started sleeping on top of my fridge a few months ago-It is dark in the kitchen by her bedtime, but she still has the freedom to check on my if she want's. She refused to go into her sleep cage, so I gave it up. Tonight I had her in her travel cage while visiting my parents and I put her in a dark room at bedtime so she could rest. I am fairly certain she fell off of the perch when she fell asleep. I had noticed in the past that she would be tipped way forward when I would take the cover off the cage before she woke, and I wonder if that is why she decided she prefers sitting on the fridge. She is very strong and spends all of her awake time climbing and hanging on her various perches and play gyms so it is not for lack of foot strength. Has anyone seen any videos of Meyers Parrots sleeping in the Wild. I am so curious about what they do in their natural habitat, and have found very few articles about them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't know much about it but I have noticed that Oggie the senegal does seem to prefer to sleep on something he can lean on.

He had a jointed ladder that attached on both ends and he would always sleep there until he destroyed it. It was kind of like a stiff hammock. He liked to rock on it alot too.

Now he sleeps on a flat platform perch and he does lean forward like he's laying on his belly.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Now he sleeps on a flat platform perch and he does lean forward like he's laying on his belly.
If you could get a picture of this!, I think we would all melt lol

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
It isn't unheard of for meyer's to get night frights as well, especially in a new environment. I hope she's alright!

Nnoki'smom

Moving in
Real Name
Kathy Moore
I never heard of night frights! Nnoki is just fine. Thankfully she was in her travel cage and it is only about four inches from the perch to the floor. I am glad to here that she isnot the only one who likes to sleep on a flat surface. She does tuck herself close to the cupboard. She is so smart, so I would guess this makes her feel safe-she is in charge of who can see her and reach her while she sleeps. (It's just me here, but she is not taking any chances ! LOL.