• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep cage question...

cep55

Sitting on the front steps
Hi everyone,

So I'm picking up my baby BFA (weaned and fledged) from the breeder here locally on Thursday. One of the first questions I have is about a sleeping cage. I have her main cage set up in the family room, where I typically work during the day, and often watch TV in the evenings. I do plan for her to be out of her cage most of the day, but at night I want to make sure she gets plenty of sleep and isn't interrupted. It's just me, so it's not loud or chaotic in the house, but I don't want to keep her up if I'm watching TV 'til 9:00 or 10:00. So I was planning to have a small sleep cage in another room that will be dark and quiet at all times.

I may be overthinking this, but... once in a while I may not be home at 8:00pm or so to put her to bed/in her sleeping cage. (In which case it would be quiet, and dark, in her main cage.) Would that deviation from routine be distressing to her, or would it be okay? (This would be down the road, very occasionally, once she's settled in.)

I appreciate your thoughts on this, and any other insights you have about sleeping cages and your experiences!

Thanks so much,
Christina

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have an old amazon. Occasionally I put Secret in the travel cage in the back bedroom when family is here and up to all hours.

I never did a sleep cage because when we're not home, who would move them?

I honestly don't know best for babies but I'll tag a member that knows much more than I

@melissasparrots

cep55

Thank you!!

I have an old amazon. Occasionally I put Secret in the travel cage in the back bedroom when family is here and up to all hours.

I never did a sleep cage because when we're not home, who would move them?

I honestly don't know best for babies but I'll tag a member that knows much more than I

@melissasparrots

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We've got a great forum so hopefully you'll get more answers about babies.

My dudes were both old when I rescued them.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never used a sleep cage. I switch my days and nights during the summer and go to bed at around sunrise. The birds are a little grumbly at first, but adapt pretty quickly. I think a lot of the answer to your question should be based on your bird's behavior. If you get into the habit of using a sleep cage and then you can't be there some nights, in all honesty, it probably won't matter. However, for some birds it will matter and they will scream or not settle down. I have one bird that was covered at sundown for many years. I don't cover birds and he sometimes still screams for no good reason at around that time and will keep it up long after dark. Once the behavior becomes a habit, it can take a long time to undo.

cep55

Thank you, @melissasparrots , that's very helpful. It seems like encouraging adaptability/not introducing a sleep cage is probably the best approach, if that works for her. I'll start there. (I know all too well what building a habit or routine can do—I have a dog who expects certain things at certain times, and it's not always ideal!)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
When I first got Kobe (Pionus) I worried like you that he wouldn't get enough sleep as I am up late each night. Therefore I got him a sleep/travel cage and he sleeps in my room. Trouble is he gets very angsty now if I don't put him in his sleep cage, or even if I put the sleep cage in another room. Later as all the Amazons started to arrive I realised that they were perfectly ok sleeping in their big cages. I just cover them with King size dark brown cotton sheets, so that they don't wake too early.