• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Skittles again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
I know i keep posting but I'm new too all of this and when I thnk Isee signs of being ill, I post.
Skittles sneezing has increased and I can't seem to find any air purifier, and he now has his beak open alot more and his tongue shows sometime, I have realised that the beak and tongue happens before and after he has a sneeze.
Skittles is eating normally ( He doesn't stop screaming every morning until I refill his water and food lol)
But this sneezing really has me concerned, I'm worried that he is sick as the sneezing is happening at least 10 times an hour.
Where can you find that air purifier stuff.
I'm in Australia so we dn't have pet co, pet smart ect.
Am I onto something, or am I just being paranoid like the usual lol
P.S he also seems to yawn..is that normal??

Last edited:

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
Hi again Rachel That much sneezing is bad, you need to get him toA avian vet as soon as possible.Do not worry about a purifier yet he needsVet attention first.Sounds like a respiratory infection and withThat much sneezing will need a course ofAntibiotics.Where in Melbourne are you??? What suburb?? Post hereAnd I will locate a qualifield avian vet for you

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
He hasn't sneezed for 2 hours but the hour before that there was ALOT of sneezing, I am 1 hour away from the city, but the breeder did say if any problems I could take him to her. I am north of melbourne ( like I said 1 hour), and I guess the breeder can't give antibiotics...

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
Why will you not visit a vet??? Your breeder would be referring to behavior issues. She wouldn't be able to help with vet issues, unless she has some medical qualifications.There are plenty of avian vets around Melbourne, you just need to do a google search

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Oh ok, I will take him to the vet, I jut wanted to make sure that there really is something wrng, because usually I just get really paranoid, I realised when he starts sneezing he will sneeze about 2-5 times in a row, then the cycle repeats. I can't take him to a vet tomorrow as I have a taekwondo competition to qualify for The National Championships. I will see if I can take him monday..I hope he will be ok :(

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Did you take him to the vet after you brought him home? If not, he should go to the vet anyways for a new bird exam. The vet will take blood and check stool for any issues.

Respiratory illness is quite common in birds, so if he seems to be sneezing and yawning a lot, he should go to the vet ASAP.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Is there a chance of death, you got me scared now :( And I can't take him to the vet today or tommorow, will he be ok???!!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
He will be ok until Monday, but try to take him right away. If he gets puffed up and quits eating, drinking and vocalizing, or becomes very lethargic, then he needs to go ASAP.

As long as he's acting ok, he should be fine until Monday. But make sure to take him in!

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
I will. I wish I could drive, my parents dn't understand :huh: I said he needs to go to the vet a week ago for a check up and they said, no,no it's ok, he's healthy.
I just got dad to wake up, mum will be harder lol.
Right now he is crawling around his cage making funny noises, and is eating, at least he's eating!
I will see if I can take him tomorrow, as long as taekwondo finishes early.....sometimes it doesn't end until 11:00pm
I will definantly take him, no matter how much convincing I have to go through, all I'm scared about if the vet will say..." I can't see anything wrong" When clearly, the way he's been sneezing, there is.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8:I know you want to do what is best for your Skittles and it is hard when you have to rely on someone else. Keep watch on how he is eating and if his poops look normal and get him in to the vet as soon as you can. Hugs to you.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
So glad you're all set for Monday! Hopefully he is 100% and then you'll have peace of mind :)

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks for the support. Zoomom, I really hope this can be fixed, and that it's not too serious of a case. I guess we will see though...Respitory infections can be healed right...can they???
:confused:

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
I will keep you all updated, I hope everything goes well, and very true KcBee, if the vet is 100% nothing is wrong, then I will be bouncing with joy!!!:dance4:

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
GOOD NEWS!!!!! I did research for Bird Respitory Infection, and it said a sign is tail bobbing, I went on youtubeto see what it looked like, and with skittles sleeping, I could examing from all angles if his tail is bobbing...THANK GOD IT'S NOT! But that doesn't mean it won't...:( I will continue research thankyou all :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What kind of room is he in? Do you use perfumes? Spray things in the air? Spray stuff on the carpet? Do use inscents? Smoke?

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Nope, none of that, mum recently lit a candle 3 days ago for about 18 hours, then I blew it out, and never lit it again. But besides that, nothing

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do you shampoo the carpets or get new carpets or perhaps recently painted?

Status
Not open for further replies.