• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Skinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaqkbunnies

Moving in
Real Name
Jayme
I have a breeder African Ringneck that is looking kind of thin these days. I'm wondering what I can feed in addition to the fresh foods and pellets and Nutriberries to help him plump up again. He's starting to worry me, and he's only 2 years old. We just moved, but into a much more calm environment, we don't have any other animals besides another pair of birds to bother him, and his mate is still present and loving. I've ruled out all I can think of as far as stressors, so I'm hoping someone else can help. :(

blaqkbunnies

Moving in
Real Name
Jayme
He's eating the Kaytee Natural pellets. I know some say rainbow is better, but I've also heard that some birds pick and choose which colors they eat and leave the rest, and I'm trying to avoid waste.
I watch them eat and he always gets to the bowl first and picks what he wants. He seems to eat a decent amount from what I can see. They're right outside our living room window, so I observe them a lot throughout the day.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I don't really know much about breeder birds, but if I had a bird that was losing weight in my house (I do not have an AR)
I would offer more nuts, some ww pasta, some almond butter. I would make sure that the pellet diet is as healthy as he could stand (I use Harrisons), offer more feedings but most of all, I would take him to the vet to make sure he isn't sick first.
He may not seem sick, but birds hide their illness.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
First Take him to the Avian Vet

second Switch off of Kaytee it's not a good brand what so ever.

I use Zupreem - they have natural blend- I've switched to Zupreem Breeder Formula from Zupreem Avian Maintenance, I use Fruit blend - but both types come in Natural

Breeders really aren't any different than pets, they shouldn't be getting thin. Specially if they are breeding now or getting ready to breed.

I'd get him tested to make sure he isn't ill. then go from there

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
I agree with Kelli and Danita maybe go to the vet first then you can rule out any illness then work on the diet. Best of luck :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.