• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sitting on shoulders

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My hyacinth likes to sit on my shoulder while I read on the computer. She usually is partially wrapped around my neck with her head under my chin getting scratches. I have to put a stop to it when she tries to mate with my ear which is actually fairly disgusting.
If I have a bird I don't want on my shoulder, I use my thumb to cover their toes while they are on my hand. I do it gently so it acts as more of a block and only a very gentle restraint. If I feel them wanting to pick up a foot, I have them stop to my other hand and my thumb goes right over their toes again. Some birds this works for. If you have a hormonal male amazon, they would opt to just remove that thumb so its not a problem anymore and then use their new found freedom to jump to your face and also remove your lower lip. However, most birds it seems to just act as a gentle reminder to stay on the hand. If they start to struggle, then I take it to mean they want to be put down.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
When we got Chipper the U2, he would ONLY sit on my shoulder. After he latched onto hubby's neck like a deranged vampire, it was a no go. So he'd step up onto my arm and run to the shoulder. I'd slowly place a plastic cutting board in front of my face, and move him down to my arm where very high value treats await. It didn't take long for him to realize that the shoulder wasn't great, and the arm had treats. I haven't given up on getting him on my hand, but it'll be slow going. For now, the forearm works for us. I can now predict when he'll go for my shoulder... If I take him in a new room, or if he can see the dog, even with her behind a gate, he becomes nervous and goes to his safe spot. If he's in an uncomfortable position, I don't worry about it too much, and just move quickly to get him feeling more secure. A few days ago, I brought him into a new room, and he ran up there. I relished in his warm soft snuggle for just one second longer than usual, then placed him on the playstand. I love him so much, and we've come so far. Plenty to go yet as well.

deemo

Meeting neighbors
You all are so brave, I would NEVER let my GW on my shoulder, I think he would bite my nose or ill be a pirate without an Eye. My GW bites for fun :) I get bitten at least 4-5 times a week, Of course not full force its just play biting but damn it hurts sometimes.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My hyacinth likes to sit on my shoulder while I read on the computer. She usually is partially wrapped around my neck with her head under my chin getting scratches. I have to put a stop to it when she tries to mate with my ear which is actually fairly disgusting.
If I have a bird I don't want on my shoulder, I use my thumb to cover their toes while they are on my hand. I do it gently so it acts as more of a block and only a very gentle restraint. If I feel them wanting to pick up a foot, I have them stop to my other hand and my thumb goes right over their toes again. Some birds this works for. If you have a hormonal male amazon, they would opt to just remove that thumb so its not a problem anymore and then use their new found freedom to jump to your face and also remove your lower lip. However, most birds it seems to just act as a gentle reminder to stay on the hand. If they start to struggle, then I take it to mean they want to be put down.
I laughed because I have a hormonal Male Zon. Still 2 thumbs, 2 Lips too! When I 1st got him I never EVER thought I'd let him on my shoulder. I actually thought all bird people were absolutely insane. Buddy & I have a trust between us... I trust that given a chance he'd take... not 1 lip but 2 ;)All joking aside, I keep new people from touching him by explaining he may bite your finger & he may break it when he bites not to mention he will draw blood if he FEELS like it. That usually keeps their hands away. He doesn't really seem to have any partucular reason for doing this to others, yes men, (usually a bit more) than women but there are a few of the ladies I have been concerned about... I have to go w/ my gut & his body language. How truthful are Macaws in their body language? I ask because I'm told you can read any Zon by this, but occasionally Buddy lies, so there isn't a perfect science to it. I know him & he knows me. You get nippy, or go towards a bad zone (eyes, nose holes, lips) immediately to the cage.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I would say for me personally, macaws are very truthful in their body language. When we were in Canada, we had 3 blue and golds.
Samantha would fake lunge when she was out her cage and we went close to her.
Needless to say we would never try to get her to step up her when she was in that state and after a few minutes she would hold her foot out to be picked up.
She must have decided she would rather have attention from us rather than be aggressive.

Bebe was only 6 months old when we got her and she was a snuggler. She was never aggressive and loved to play.

Frankie, on the other hand has his moods. His body posture and stance is a clear indication of how he feels.
He wants attention and loves to play, but I have to watch his behavior because sometimes he gets carried away and wants to feed me and wrap his wings around my hand. Ummm thanks but no thanks lol

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My hyacinth is truthful with her body language, but its not easy to describe. Kind of like cockatoos I guess where you get to know your bird. Not nearly as dramatic as the amazon, but my female hyacinth's moods aren't nearly as dramatic either. She will usually try to get away from a new person and failing that, she may try to bite. The only time she's sneaky with me is if I've been gone. She's actually been very good the last few vacations I've taken. When she was younger, she'd be very loving when I first got home from a trip. But sometime in the first 24 hours she'd bite me a little harder than necessary to convey her displeasure about the whole thing. Maybe the reason she hasn't bitten me the last few trips is that I've learned to give her space for a couple days when I come back and placate her frequently by handing her treats through the cage bars.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
When Chaos was young, up to about 10 years old, he was a sweetheart all the time.
Then between 10 and 15 he was unpredictable, I was unable to read him at times and got some bad bites without any warning I saw.
Now at 21, he's over the sudden unexpected mood changes, and is very easy to read.
Or maybe he taught me what to watch for, but I've not been bitten for quite a long time.
Still, he changes quickly, I see it happening and know he could lash out before I've moved to safety.
So no shoulders for Chaos. :)