• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sitting on shoulders

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I see a lot of pictures of people with their larger parrots on their shoulders and it seems to work for them. Koko's previous owners let her ride on their heads and shoulders, something I'm not comfortable with. We've only had her since November so we're still learning to read each other and I don't expect it to change overnight. Any ideas on how to work with her on that? She's a BG.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You’re absolutely right. You don’t know this bird yet so you just don’t let her up there (for now). Shoulder privileges (if any) have to be earned by the bird.

Once you truly know her it may never be an issue but time will tell.

Tika has no shoulder privileges (15 yrs). I won’t even use my arm with him. He will bite you just for fun.

Amanda will only ride on the shoulder. No where else. She has never bitten anyone as long as I’ve had her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know a lot of people who say you should never let a bigger bird on your shoulders. It comes down to trust and personal preference. I think if you choose to let your bird on your shoulders it just happens over time. I think I would work more on target training, working on her stepping up, etc and go from there. All that said, I do let my goffin on my shoulder.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I don't let my little bird on my shoulder. He likes to bite when he decides he's bored. My roommate used to let him on his shoulder and got his ear bit once so doesn't now lol.
Once we were eating, and Jupiter was on my roommates head and my friend was eating. Jupiter clearly wanted food and I told him that. He shrugged and said to bad. Jupiter bent down and gave him a good eyebrow bite, drew blood and everything.
I explained to him that you can't just ignore birds like that lol. They will get your attention. And I explained that biting is self reinforced so please don't let my bird bite him again.
Jupiter likes to be on my head but I have dreads and he always gets stuck so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The two things all Pirates have in common are a parrot on their shoulder and a patch over their eye.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
JaJaBinks, B&G, will ride on my arm, but never my shoulder. She refuses to get up there, which is OK by me. My U2 used to ride on my shoulder, but once her hormones kicked in she stopped. I'd never let our CAG ride on my shoulder. She'd get scared & nail me for sure.

I sure wouldn't want a B&G riding on my head. If Koko tries to move up your arm move her back down. Eventually she'll get the idea it's not permitted.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I don't mind our BFA on my shoulder and I know what damage they can do. If I do get bit it's my fault not the parrots. I can read our parrots but Koko came from a very good place but very little boundaries. I want to interact with her and I am but I think it would benefit both of us if we put some rules in place that is safer for both of us.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do allow Burt on my shoulder from time to time, he comes down the first time he’s asked every time. It is mostly when I am vacuuming, cleaning cage, making the bed or sorting washing as he likes to help but it gets too difficult (heavy) with him helping down near my wrist! His most favourite place is the top of my head but that is not very comfortable for me so he’s never allowed up there for long plus once he’s removed my hair tie he has trouble gripping hehehe.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I allow Blu on my shoulder only when I'm sitting in my recliner or in an upholstered rocking chair. When he starts getting feisty I lean back and he scurries the back of the chair. I can then stand up or lean forward and get him to step up on my arm. We've done this from a week after I got him so he knows the routine. Twice he's tried to bite the ear piece on my glasses. I've started to hold him with 2 fingers by his upper beak when he tries to bite and say "Don't bite". A month ago he started to bite at my boot sole while sitting on my leg. When I touched his beak he turned to me and said "Don't bite". I don't know if it was meant for me not to touch his beak or if he finally got the message.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos on my shoulder? Not in this lifetime!
It all depends on the bird IMO.
Macaws can and will get testy. They go through many changes in their lives. Changes that can happen at any time.
Especially since it can be 50+ years they'll be with you.
I like my ears, nose, eyes, etc.....
Of course there's always that one that you can trust for life.
But it's not mine. ;)

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise rides on my shoulder fine but I didn't train her to do that. I have trust as she is not a biter and gives pretty visible signals. I feel better when I am wearing my glasses as she is calm but not domesticated...always some level of risk.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The two things all Pirates have in common are a parrot on their shoulder and a patch over their eye.
That's a brilliant way to put to it!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Mine have always ridden on my shoulder.
Frankie loves to preen me or get scratches there.
I trust this bird completely.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My little birds ride on my shoulder. They have earned my trust and I know they won't bite me. The most I'll get is a screech and a ringing ear. My macaw will most likely never be a shoulder bird. Simply due to his past and distrust of humans, it's not safe for either of us if he's up there. I have worked with others that I'm comfortable with being there, but not my own.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't let my CAG on my shoulder even though she's mostly non-aggressive. She's bitten me a handful of times in the 11-12 years I've had her. I don't let her on my shoulder because she can spook easily at loud noises or random objects, and I don't want to risk her biting out of anxiousness. Too easy for a big bird to cause serious damage to your eyes, mouth, nose, etc.

I let my late Meyer's on my shoulder.

Good luck.