• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Silly Question, Can parrots have Black Sesame Seeds?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I just bought a jar of black sesame seeds for cooking and wasn't sure if my conures could have some. I know regular sesame seeds are safe but I wanted to double-check that black ones are too (even though the hull is just left on). Finding mixed answers so I wasn't sure. They are also roasted if that makes a difference (other than nutritional value).
Thanks!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Following this thread

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Waiting for Shawna so I don’t have to do any research lol. I’m interested even though I don’t see them here very often at all.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
They are also roasted if that makes a difference
From what I know, roasted seeds themselves can have high salt levels. Even if they are unsalted, you still do not know how they were processed. I personally wouldn't feed my bird roasted seeds just because I don't know what kind of environment they are made in (if that makes sense.)

As for your question about black sesame seeds, I don't know the answer so I'm going to wait for Mizzely to respond.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
From what I know, roasted seeds themselves can have high salt levels. Even if they are unsalted, you still do not know how they were processed. I personally wouldn't feed my bird roasted seeds just because I don't know what kind of environment they are made in (if that makes sense.)

As for your question about black sesame seeds, I don't know the answer so I'm going to wait for Mizzely to respond.
That's a good point, I normally don't buy anything roasted but these were just for a dish I was making for myself. I will probably just buy them another bag that isn't processed but I'm still curious too about the black ones as they are the main ones I see here.
Thanks everyone!