• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Finch

Rosie-bird

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I am concerned about my pet finch. She lives with another finch, they are both zebra finches. We used to have 4 finches, 2 males and 2 females (we think, we don't know for sure because it was a mix between 2 different types of zebra finch) but the two ones that we thought were males died, we think from the same thing. The older male at first slept a lot, but then he would perk up for a couple days and then look sick, over and over. We took him to the vet and they said there was nothing wrong with him other than the visible signs, and to get a nutritional mix to sprinkle on top of his food. He perked up for a few days then started on his old routine of healthy/sick. This continued for months, I am not sure if to some extent he had stronger immune system (we caught him from the wild, not sure if that had anything to do with it, we think that he was and escaped or abandoned bird). When he and his mate had eggs, 2 hatched and one of them we think was male. Only the male seemed to act sick after a while, and a few months after hatching the older male started to loose feathers. His son died, with only the symptoms of sleeping more often, and then the father died (we were planning on taking him to the vet but it was Sunday.) Now the younger female is loosing feathers on the side of her head, not showing any other symptoms and we are not sure what to do, we think our lovebird caught something from them, what should we do and what do you think the sickness is?

Thanks for reading and comments welcome

P.S. we already took our lovebird to the vet, they gave her antibiotics but she is starting to show symptoms:zf1:

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@Birdbabe
I saw the previous post from the individual (original poster).
I am willing to assist- only of the person wants sound advise..... I see the posts on lovebrids, cockatoos... this now on finches.

@Rosie-bird

1. Who is 'they' that said nothing was wrong?
2. females and male are very specific (dimorhpic) so which did you have? male female? 4- 10?
2. So you had multiple species die from what seemed be the same case? ....but still want to breed them? Im confused.

I would need to know:
1. Type of enclosure, size and locatiojn in the room (next to TV, window, etc) and cage mates if applicable.
2. Visible photo of enclosure
3. Close picture of bird
4. Detailed diet