• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick Bourke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
My male Bourke is unwell. He's been puffed up, breathing hard, eyes closed a lot, and head usually held back. He's breathed hard since I got him a few weeks ago. I hoped it was stress. I now think not.

I've a ceramic heater pointed at the cage since this morning. He does seem to be resting easier. I suppose being warmer is helping, but I doubt it will fix the problem. As you know, I have no access to an Avian vet. Tomorrow, I plan to ask the pharmacist for two human antibiotic pills. I plan to mix in water, and administer a few drops daily. If he survives, I then plan to feed him some of my probiotic pills to offset the problem with killing the good bacteria in the gut. I realize that it's risky, but this bird is going to die unless I do something.

Has anyone ever treated a bird with meds meant for humans?

I am in no way suggesting that treating a bird in this way is a sensible option, but I have no choice. If it's bacterial in nature, the antibiotic should help. If it's not bacterial, he will not respond to the treatment. If he has an adverse reaction to meds meant for humans, it won't be good. But judging by how he looks, if left untreated, he will die.:(:(:(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Please try to call an avian vet for dosage. Just mixing a pill isn't going to give the correct meds. You could easily overdose a small bird. Can you contact a regular vet to see if they carry clavamox? You would also need an antifungal or he will get a yeast infection. I am so sorry he's sick.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I can contact a regular vet for the clavamox? Is that an antibiotic? What antifungal should I ask for? What about a probiotic?

I'm not certain that they will sell it to me, but it can't hurt to ask. I find that the vet clinic here is not terribly helpful, unless there's money to be made....

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Clavamox is one of the main antibiotics used. You will want nystatin for the yeast medication. If you call an avian vet, they may call the local dog and cat vet but they may want you to bring him in for an exam. I would think a local vet with a phone consult to an avian vet would be better than giving an antibiotic especially as different concentrations can be very strong. Some medications that work on humans do not work on animals as well and some are just toxic.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I doubt they will want me to bring him in...they wouldn't even do a wing clip when I requested one a couple of years ago. I'll check it out further in the morning...Thanks!

Oh, what about Baytril...a broad spectrum antibiotic used in birds, dogs, cats...which do you feel would be best?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I've only used Baytril once so I'm not sure why Clavamox is prescribed for mine more frequently but I have heard others being prescribed Baytril. I think the important thing with either one is the correct dose for such a little bird and if there is no improvement within 48 hours, it may not be the right antibiotic for that strain of bacteria.

I don't know if Dr. O can help but she does phone consultations...http://birdexoticpetvets.com/

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
The heat has worked wonders. He's much more alert today. There's still something not right periodically with his breathing. He has short periods when he breathes hard, but an hour later, he seems to be comfortable. He has eaten three times today that I have seen. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and try to get the Baytril or not. Is it possible that he can shake this off on his own? Am I better off to try and medicate him anyway? I hate to medicate when I really don't know what's wrong....Yesterday, I was so certain that he was going to die, that I would have tried anything.

I really wish I could understand bird talk. The female, Stella, has spent days sitting quietly beside Sam, the male. Tonight, Sam is more perky than he's been since I got him. They were squeaking at each other. Bourkes don't really chirp. They sound like squeaky shopping carts. It's the first time that Sam has vocalized since I got him. Stella was saying something to him, she moved close to the food bowl, looked back at him and squeaked. Sam then went to the bowl and ate. It seemed as if she told him to eat!

These two have been together for years. I got them a couple of weeks ago. It saddens me to think how heartbroken she will be if he doesn't make it.

I should say that I suspect these two have been on a seed only diet for years. They will not touch anything but seed, but I offer the veggies anyway. They also seem to have very weak flight muscles, and tire unusually quickly. My birds get free flight everyday. I will be allowing these to do that as well, if Sam gets better. It's a shame to see two birds like this unable to fly across a room!

Last edited:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I've just called the vet clinic here...they will not allow me to pick up Baytril and Nystatin. And they have no vet who has ever dealt with a bird. GREAT!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh no Sharon, I am sorry to hear this.:hug8: Definitely continue to keep your baby nice and warm. Is he eating, drinking, and pooping normal?

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
It's really what I expected. If there's no money to be made, there is no help. I've found this clinic to be like that, and we've used them for years with dogs.

Last edited:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
He is eating...not much, but definitely eating. The poop seems OK...maybe a little dark. It's probably normal for Bourkes, as the female's poop is darker than I'm used to as well.
I'm considering ordering online, but I'd have to find a Canadian source....I doubt I can get meds past customs.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I can't find Baytril online in Canada. I did find advice on ASK A VET...I could use Ciprofloxacin, and instructions were there. However, the pharmacist won't sell me a tablet(which is all I need) without a prescription. I GIVE UP!:mad::mad:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Here's a link to one of the best bird vets in the U.S. and a great guy. I would do a phone consultation, they are about $100.00 and then maybe he can give you a script for an online pharmacy and they can overnight the meds to you. Where are you located? It's possible that our Canadian members can help you with a vet recommendation. It's not unusual for members to drive at least 2 hours one way to see an avian vet.

Veterinary Advice - Ask Dr. Burkett A Question Today!

Ginger

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
A two hour drive would not be a problem....I would have to book a flight out of the province to see an Avian vet. Even if I were to consider that, I doubt this little bird would survive the ordeal.
I've exhausted the options as far as I can see. I've been on this computer since Sunday trying to get info, and I'm no better off now than when I started! I'm incredibly frustrated with the whole thing.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Hi Sharon,

You can attempt to get a broad spectrum antibiotic called Triple C which is manufactured by Vetafarm. The active constituent chlortetracycline hydrochloride and it can be used to treat E.coli (Enteritis), Mycoplasma spp. (Chronic Respiratory Disease) and Chlamydia psittaci (Psittacosis). You can order this on-line from Vet-N-Pet Direct without a prescription. It is in a powder form in a sealed plastic container. As to whether it gets through customs or not is another matter. If you are successful, then you will need to remove all sources of calcium from your Bourke's diet, that includes pellets, cuttlebone, etc. There are services available that claim to be able to get business docs anywhere in the world within 24-48 hours, but I would think that this is not a cheap option for shipping. Hope this helps, but given that we don't know what is wrong with him, it's a bit of a stab in the dark.
:)

Last edited:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Thanks for the info, Stormcloud. I very much doubt that it would get through customs. I once ordered a flight suit for my Linnie, and that was examined thoroughly...:rolleyes:

This whole thing has me a tad confused. A bird doesn't show illness until rather late in the game, according to what I read. This little guy has breathed rapidly...much faster than his mate, for three weeks. It escalated to the point where he was fluffed, eyes closed, and head back. Since I have raised the heat to his cage, he's perkier but still breathes hard. His condition doesn't seem to be getting worse. You would think that he'd be in big trouble by now?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My bourke hen got really sick with a bacterial infection and I just couldn't afford the vet bills at the time.. so I started giving her milk thistle in the liquid form without alcohol. She was laying eggs, listless, constantly resting, fluffed feathers, eyes partially opened. I treated her by giving her 1 drop by mouth once a day. Ideally, it should have been twice a day, but I did once per day. By the end of the treatment (2-3 weeks?), she was bright eyed, hard to catch, no longer listless and has been fine ever since. I had to clean the droppings from her feathers, but there's been no more stuck to her vent feathers since. She should be 16-18 years old in 2013.

This is exactly what I have
Nature's Answer - Milk Thistle Seed - 1oz

If you can find something of the equivalent where you live, I would recommend this before trying human medications if you can't speak with a vet that can give you proper dosage. The liver helps to detoxify the body, and milk thistle promotes a healthy liver.... so it *might* help him. Not knowing what's wrong with him, I don't know if it will. In the least, it's a safer bet than human medications, and worse case, it doesn't do anything.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
That's a good idea! I should be able to get that!:dance4:

Sam is looking better...not totally normal but better. He still breathes harder than normal, but it's periodic now. He's a lot perkier than he was, and continues to eat. I'm thinking that if it were a bacterial infection, he'd be worse???

Status
Not open for further replies.