• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shoulder time causes behavioural problems??

macaronish

Hit the Road
I was reading some parrot psychology and read how you shouldn't allow parrots on your shoulder as this can cause aggression and make the parrot not want to step up on fingers and be territorial over the shoulder. Is this true even for smaller birds like cockatiels and lovebirds? Or for any bird? I reckoned if you always placed the parrot there and had them earn shoulder time by not being nippy and have treats only when on your hand it would be fine.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
My macaw goes on my shoulder and it doesn't make him aggressive at all.
We have a strong bond and I trust him.
For some birds, the closer to your face they are, can lead to being bitten on the face.
Even when my macaw is super excited he will grab my shirt or my neck but he just laughs when he's doing it. It's all a game to him.
For a bird I didn't know or have a strong bond with, shoulders are off limits.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the bird. Some birds do not belong on your shoulder. Others are perfectly fine!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I agree, depends on the bird. Tiels are not usually aggressive. An aggressive bird is one that seeks you out to attack you, I would believe, perhaps due to past trauma. If your bird bites you hard when you want her to move from your shoulder, maybe you are just being too fast and waking her/him. Try saying her name and slowly move to let her wake up. When my tiel was young, if she was tiffy on my shoulder, (warning nibbles or open beak)I would slowly bend forward and offer my hand as a steady higher perch, then she would gladly step up. Nowadays, she gladly steps up 90% of the time, unless it’s late and she’s tired.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with all of the above!
My GCC is allowed on my shoulder as he is very gentle and doesn't try to bite my face.
My Quaker however, is not usually allowed or more than a minute or two,any longer and he starts getting too curious! Lol