• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should i worry about this? pics and video included

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
my 4 months old ( i think) kitten likes to get up in windows and just chill there, should i worry about that? i live in a first floor apartement if that helps. my mom suggested putting a net on the outside part of the windows so if the cat likes to chill in there she at least wont be at risk of falling, but sometimes i think im just paranoid since cats are known to survive falls from even higher,thoughts?

here's the video link and picture:

20201106_115913.jpg

Thanks in advance :D

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Sorry I don't know a thing on cats :thinking:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How far is the drop? Are you allowing your cat outside?

One thing about cats... They have to have enough time to flip around to survive a fall unscathed. Shorter falls can paradoxically be more dangerous than a higher fall.

If you aren't wanting your cat free outside, then screens are necessary. Cats that area allowed to roam live on average 2 to 5 years compared to cats kept indoors who live 10 to 15 on average.

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops

One thing about cats... They have to have enough time to flip around to survive a fall unscathed. Shorter falls can paradoxically be more dangerous than a higher fall.

If you aren't wanting your cat free outside, then screens are necessary. Cats that area allowed to roam live on average 2 to 5 years compared to cats kept indoors who live 10 to 15 on average.
nop my cat is gonna be indoor only, people in here are nasty and kids sometimes chase after strays with rocks. i dont really know how high up the drop is but i believe its enough for her to flip around and land on her feet. as i mentionned i wanted to install a metal-like net-thingy on the window so she can chill there without me having to worry about her falling, but i figured since winter is coming, it'll just be a waste of money, time and effort since the window is gonna be closed like 90% of the time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i wanted to install a metal-like net-thingy
My neighbours here have thin rope nets covering balconies and windows for their cats. It can be a little less unsightly than metal :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So if it's one story, it likely doesn't matter. However past that, cats have more injuries falling from 2 to 6 stories then they do from 7 to 32

A story is about 14 feet / 4.25 meters

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
My neighbours here have thin rope nets covering balconies and windows for their cats. It can be a little less unsightly than metal :)
i dont really know how to describe it lol, but it looks more like those nets you put on windows to stop mosquitos for getting in but idk if they can withstand a cat's claws :D

BirdWorld

You mean like window screens? Those would probably work. The cat could probably rip one with her claws but I’m not sure why she’d want to.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would worry about the cat getting lost if she gets to the ground - especially if you live in the city.

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
I would worry about the cat getting lost if she gets to the ground - especially if you live in the city.
yea thats my main worry. or it getting hurt by bad people or stolen :(

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I would cover it. Yes she'd probably survive, but it would be dangerous if she gets out.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You also have to treat for fleas when they go outside. I've never had an indoor outdoor cat, it scares me too much. However you choose to enclose that, as you know, cats are Master escape artists, so it has to be super super secure.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You need to put something up. I wouldn't be sanguine with my cat falling any distance. That's a gamble with your animal's health I'd not risk.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

My cat is invincible! She jumped out a 1st floor window, then walked back into the house like nothing happened...

I think putting a screen up in the rare possibility she might fall off is your best option too.

@Mizzely I'm not quite sure where those life span figures came from, but from experience I can tell you they are very wrong.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My cat is invincible! She jumped out a 1st floor window, then walked back into the house like nothing happened...

I think putting a screen up in the rare possibility she might fall off is your best option too.

@Mizzely I'm not quite sure where those life span figures came from, but from experience I can tell you they are very wrong.
It's from the US and my personal experience has lined up with it sadly. My MIL always lets her cats outdoors and I've seen only one make it past the age of 4 :(

• Wow
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It's from the US and my personal experience has lined up with it sadly. My MIL always lets her cats outdoors and I've seen only one make it past the age of 4 :(
Oh no, that is such a shame! My nan's oldest cat got to his twenties and was and had free roam in and out

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
my 4 months old ( i think) kitten likes to get up in windows and just chill there, should i worry about that? i live in a first floor apartement if that helps. my mom suggested putting a net on the outside part of the windows so if the cat likes to chill in there she at least wont be at risk of falling, but sometimes i think im just paranoid since cats are known to survive falls from even higher,thoughts?

here's the video link and picture:

View attachment 360942

Thanks in advance :D
I wouldn’t worry about it, cats are amzing climbers and incredibly athletic, it’s no secret that they always land on their feet, in fact higher falls can be less dangerous to cats because they have time to react in mid air. So if your cat falls, I’m sure she will just climb back up where she fell from.