• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I Get An Amazon?

Apache4831

Moving in
Hey all! I still miss my Natu very much, but I am reconsidering getting another bird, I will prepare as much as I possibly can before getting another bird, especially a 'zon. I will try my best to adopt, I will give myself more time to prep and ask myself, "am I really prepared?" I love the lilac-crowned Amazon, so I would like to ask some questions about them to anyone that owns them.

I would get a 48 x 36 x 76 cage ( Amazon.com : A&E Cage 8004836 Platinum Play Top Bird Cage with 1" Bar Spacing, 48" x 36" : Birdcages : Pet Supplies ) as this would probably be the largest cage I can buy for my house. the bar spacing says it is 1". Would that be too big of bar spacing, would they get their head stuck in it?

What about hormones? are they as aggressive as other 'zons when hormones kick in?

Diet? I know veggies are a must, what about pellet brands? is there a "best one"? or stick to one that they might like?

I've heard they are quieter than other Amazons. is that true?

that's about all the questions I have. I still need lots and lots of time to research about them.

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
I haven't had a amazon before but ive studied them for years so I know lots about them...

Cage size: the size for the cage is great, the bar spacing should be fine...

Hormones: Yes, like most amazons, they do get a bit agresssive when hormones kick in...

Diet: "Passwell" pellets are great for amazons!

Noise: Depends on the individual parrot, some are loud, some are quiet. So yes there are some 'quieter' amazons.

Hope this helped ;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@AmberC I’m not sure that Passwell is a brand they have in the US and if they do I would be tipping that it is not likely to be one of the top brands available there.

I have always been curious about their products but never bought any (the name kinda puts me off lol.) so I’m wondering if you’ve used any of them?

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
My zon recently got into Harrison’s pellets...hallelujah. No dyes, sugar, etc.

I THINK Lilac Crown are one of the mellower, quieter species, but I KNOW that Mealys and Orange Wingeds are.

My Yellow Nape is not noisy at all, although he does come out with a few blasts every now and then. Very verbal though, talking to himself at a very reasonable volume.

As far as aggression, my YNA is part of the Hot Three, which includes Blue Fronted and Double Yellow Head. This means they can get aggressive. Mine? Yeah, he’s a little bit of a nut at times, but very rarely and hardly. Nothing unmanageable.

It’s a cliche, but although species type does come into play, it really is the individual bird’s personality, upbringing, environment, etc.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
I've been looking into Orange Winged Amazon's at the moment so its quite a coincidence I saw this right now. Yes lilac's tend to be a bit more mellow and quieter and calm than other species but it depends on the specific bird. The Amazon's I've met loved Lafebers, but every bird has their own tastes so you have to look at a lot of different brands to find what they like. Its also important that you have time, money, space, and can commit to a parrot.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I met a lilac crowned before and she was definitely a sweet, mellow bird. I will say I don't see them very often in rescues. So, if you're looking to adopt- which is great, I hope you do- it might take awhile to come across one.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I had an OWA who lived to 48 years of age. I wouldn't say he was mellow, but perhaps a bit more timid than my BFA is. I don't know much about lilac crowned amazons, but will say this. Think long and hard before you get an amazon. They are a lifelong commitment. Imagine having a 3 year old child living with you for 40 years! My BFA is now 37, and I have had him 37 years. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but it has been a challenge at times. Amazons are highly intelligent, stubborn and lively creatures who will steal your heart and take over your house. My Sam pretty much runs the house. When he wants to go to bed, EVERYBODY has to go to bed. Even if we go into the bedroom in the back, he will hear us and yell for us to be quiet. I love him dearly, and would never change having him. I just wish I knew more before I got him so I could have socialized and trained him a little differently.

BirdBro

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I’ve spent time around one lilac crown and she was very sweet & shy, also definitely quieter though capable of making herself heard if desired.

A bit less active as well, which I’ve read, so I’d really invest in things like boings & orbits as well as foraging to keep her mobile.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Hi I bought a hand reared lilac-crowned Amazon recently and he is a lovely bird but still only a baby. Most of his birdie noises are pleasant and he currently speaks in the sweetest little high pitched voice .
He has a less pleasant squawk which he comes out with when he is very excited eg when flying round the room or when my wife is on the phone but this is rare and over very quickly and not nearly as bad as when my orange winged Amazon decided to scream .
He is starting to get the idea that head scratches are nice but only for short periods of time currently.

What about hormones? Are they as aggressive as other 'zons when hormones kick in?
I can't comment on this but I guess my orange winged was a lady as I never had any problem with hormones in the 16 years we had together but I'm guessing she was never a baby as I don't remember her ever having the babies eyes .

Diet? I know veggies are a must, what about pellet brands? Is there a "best one"? or stick to one that they might like?

I have found both my Amazons were quite good at eating veg and fruit. I wanted to feed Tops organic pellets that seemed to be the best but Merlin didn't agree with me .The breeder had him on a mix of seeds and pellets that I didn't like due to having sugars in so we tried our second choice of HARI tropican pellets and Merlin likes the mix and basic pellets I have been getting the granules as he eats it all. The previous pellets supplied from breeder were larger but we used to have bits flying out of cage as he crunched them and he was wasting as much as he ate. I'm in the UK and this is a Canadian make so not sure if easy to get in US .

Amazons are strong willed and you can't make them eat what you want them to. As their owner I'm sure you will find a good pellet that they like, some are definitely not a good choice and you will find past discussions on here worth reading. My bird loves his seeds too but I use for training only.

I've heard they are quieter than other Amazons. is that true?
As I have written above this seems to be true to me but my Orange winged Amazon wasn't a noisy bird most of the time. When he chose to scream it was a lot louder than Merlin and he would wake us up for his breakfast where Merlin is happy to sleep in . I have read that birds fit into their environment so if you have a noisy household your bird will probably learn to be as well to compete .

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know much about Amazons (other than that they're gorgeous!). Maybe starting your own thread would get more attention from those with Amazons.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love Amazons, they're the bestest!