• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get an Amazon Parrot?

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
I've never owned an Amazon. This is 1 out of the other 3 birds I'm thinking about purchasing (Umbrella Cockatoo , African Grey, Indian Ringneck).
I would preferably want to get one as young as possible, mainly for the bird to grow up with the other parrots (I always introduce birds one at a time when I can get them to step up so I can control the interactions and so they feel safe). I know it's important to adopt a parrot, as I did with my Green Cheeked Conures and Pacific Parrotlets, but I would like to purchase a younger bird this time for the reasons above.
It would be in it's own cage (large and horizontal), have time to fly out of the cage and a constant routine worked around my apprenticeship for taming/training/quality time.
I feed all my birds a deit of seed, treats and veggies with some fruits.
I know there are a few differences between the types of colours but as a novice I'm not entirely sure between them all.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What are the other parrots for specie?
If you want them all to feel/be safe you need a parrot at same size.

And don't demand a step up, that has nothing to do with safety and can ruin a trusting bond.

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
@Eloy what I mean by the 'step up' is that I wait until I'm on that level with a bird and they trust me enough/like me enough to want to stay there; then I introduce the parrots together.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I've never owned an Amazon. This is 1 out of the other 3 birds I'm thinking about purchasing (Umbrella Cockatoo , African Grey, Indian Ringneck).
I would preferably want to get one as young as possible, mainly for the bird to grow up with the other parrots (I always introduce birds one at a time when I can get them to step up so I can control the interactions and so they feel safe). I know it's important to adopt a parrot, as I did with my Green Cheeked Conures and Pacific Parrotlets, but I would like to purchase a younger bird this time for the reasons above.
It would be in it's own cage (large and horizontal), have time to fly out of the cage and a constant routine worked around my apprenticeship for taming/training/quality time.
I feed all my birds a deit of seed, treats and veggies with some fruits.
I know there are a few differences between the types of colours but as a novice I'm not entirely sure between them all.
Getting a younger bird doesn't always guarantee they'll Grow up and like each other. I've had rescued that gotten along quite well. But if your considering an Amazon to be around your other birds, you might want to look into a white front Amazon. They are realitivily small for an Amazon and good natured. My zon, a BFA is a rescue. She's very good natured.
IMG_20190101_220201.jpg

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Getting a younger bird doesn't always guarantee they'll Grow up and like each other. I've had rescued that gotten along quite well. But if your considering an Amazon to be around your other birds, you might want to look into a white front Amazon. They are realitivily small for an Amazon and good natured. My zon, a BFA is a rescue. She's very good natured.
View attachment 319425

Poppers!!!!!!!!

Ok, indoor voice now! Sorry Tegan, Poppers was ill & it's so good to see her chipper self!

Tegan, I think that your 3 or 4 choices of species debate are all very good choices depending on what you are looking for. They are all difficult & require great amounts of reading & learning. I :heart:my Zon & wouldn't trade him for the world. He requires great amounts if attention, bond & education. I can tell you based on my reading that most IRN don't like touchy feely stuff from their humans which is different from the others you are asking about.

I'm not sure what all the different Zon owners go through with each species. I own a Mexican Red Headed Amazon. There are a few Zon species that have a little bit of a reputation as being grouchy or nippy. Mine is not one of them.

He :heart:s to learn & I think except for "speaking English" he's very smart & could probably give a few known "smart birds" species a run for their $. He's an older bird though best guess is 25-27.

He likes to sing, whistle, play w/ all his humans. Chill out & groove to classic rock or nap w/ Daddy. Watch birdy Tv or read w/ Mommy.

He is the very best guardian of my house, would put a dog's skills to shame. Not sure why, just an observation.

Maybe a thought is to try a rescue & interact w/ the different species. I know you want to start w/ a baby but at a rescue they may let you interact w/ a few different birds of the same type. You may find like all us crazy bird people know is just like people each little soul is an individual. The rescue may educate you a bit on their different fids species too as you interact so you know better what you should narrow down & out or do lotsa extra reading about.

:goodluck: & :hug9: Rain

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Angel was a rescue from an unhealthy situation. I was worried at first how he would get along with my crew. But in less than a week he turned into the life of the party getting along with the boys just great! He is The most active, playful, and friendly guy! He is quick to learn, speaks wonderfully, and performs numerous tricks. Amazon's have amazing personalities!

My crew are all about the same size, and cage doors are never closed (except for Lucy when she lays an egg, that's why I got her a huge macaw cage so she doesn't feel shut in). Having a large play area certainly helps. There's plenty of room and toys so they don't feel any birdie is encroaching on their space. Newt is the only one who goes on his own to sleep in his cage at bedtime, but often Angel follows him and they share a perch for the night!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Read the good bad and ugly thread about amazons. They are like polar opposites of cockatoos in many ways. And yet, the males of each genus seem to have similar types of behaviors in terms of jumping off their cage and going after people and being strongly affected by hormones. Both species depending on the bird can become very easily over excited and result in aggression. Both species can be jealous of children and significant others. This jealousy can be violent and directed at any nearby person or animal including their favorite human. In terms of day to day handling and interaction style, they are quite different. Some amazons can be very cuddly but most are not most of the time. They may have moments of being very cuddly, but just because they want to cuddle today, doesn't mean they will want it tomorrow or ever again for that matter. Amazons are often happy hanging out near you, maybe getting a quick head scratch but not being constantly pestered by you. If you want to shower a bird with affection, a female cockatoo might be the better choice. But, you can easily ruin a cockatoo by showering it with affection as well. If you try it with an amazon, they will likely learn to bite in order to get you to go away. If you do it with a cockatoo, you will likely create a screaming, codependent, eventually plucking bird.
Also, its not necessarily important to rescue. You can decide for yourself. Getting a bird from a breeder is fine to. Getting an adult from a rescue is no guarantee that you get what you see. My rehomed cockatoo was a sweetheart when I went to pick him up and for weeks after. Then he went into a face biting and attacking phase, then he got better and was fine. My rehomed female amazon bit the snot out of me at first and after that was fine. What you see at the rescue or previous owners house is not necessarily what you get. If you want a young bird, research good breeders and get a young bird. Just know that a young bird doesn't necessarily guarantee you an easy happily ever after either. Females of both genera are significantly easier.

kingkrab

Moving in
We have a male BFA-adopted from a previous “parent owner” and an adopted Timneh, as well as 3 cockatiels- all males! The grey gets along with the Tiels since there about the same size and color, but he doesn’t get along with the zon. I wouldn’t suggest a Cockatoo as the next step up, unless you have a place where he/she can chew wood freely and scream to his heart’s content :)! Amazons are tricky and can rival the cockatoo’s lungs as well. They can be the best bird ever or hell on wheels. Grey’s are highly intelligent (well, all 3 breeds are) and unless you can devote the time and attention to him/her, they make excellent friends. I recommend adoption. Go to any avian adoption place and see for yourself. So many birds need forever homes :heart: