• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get a budgie

JKate

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
Hi everyone, I’ve been looking at getting a parrot for nearly a year now but the timeing hasn’t been right. I’m finally at a stage where being able to care for a parrot or bird is something I’d be able to to my fullest. After researching a few different birds I’m leaning towards getting a budgie or two. Of course before I make any hard set plans I wanted to ask experienced budgie keepers about wether a budgie would suit me.
Time wise I’d have roughly an hour in the morning and 2-4 hours in the evening to spend with the bird. I still live at home so the bird would not be alone when I’m not there but would only be aloud out when I’m there to supervise.
Also my dad works from home and has to take conference calls occasionally. There would easily be 2 doors between my dads office and the bird. But would the budgie be so loud that they could be heard from 2 rooms away? Noice itself is fine it just can’t be loud enough that it can be heard from this distance.
I’m hoping that the budgie would be interactive not cuddly is fine and I don’t mind putting time into taming. But I would like to have a bird that can be out of the cage and spend time with me.
I was thinking that because the budgie would have to spend a large portion of time with me not there that 2 budgies in a large cage with lots of toys would work best. I’m not in a rush so happy to save until I can afford an ample sized cage.
I’ve never had a bird before so any tips and advice would be appropriated.
Sorry about the long post I want to make sure I get this right!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Probably the best choice while you're still living at home. Any larger bird may be far too noisy for the rest of the family. A parakeet will give you much joy and entertainment with a pretty chirp and chatter. Larger birds will just SCREAM very loudly with no pretty song of any kind. Keets will also mimic the human voice where other species may or may not.
I owned one for many years and loved it dearly. It mimicked me with about a couple dozen words and phrases. It was a hoot!
I really had to do some serious decision making to either buy another parakeet for $25 or the beautiful sun conure for $500. Took me a week or so to decide.
You really can't go wrong with a keet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds to me like you are making exactly the right choice. Budgies are quiet enough, your dad shouldn’t have any problems with his conference calls.

And getting two will keep them from being lonely.

Find a breeder if you can, rather than a pet shop. And keep reading this forum to get more ideas about cages, toys, etc

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Kate :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I am pretty sure your Dad could hear the budgie with 2 closed doors between.
I know I could. I've had a number of single budgie over many years and they can really get going when they want to.
I don't think it would be loud enough to be distracting to people on the other end of the line.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcomeavenue: I hope you can find the perfect budgies for you and your family! I wouldn't trade mine for a million! Welcome.

JKate

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
A parakeet will give you much joy and entertainment with a pretty chirp and chatter. Larger birds will just SCREAM very loudly with no pretty song of any kind. Keets will also mimic the human voice where other species may or may not.
Thank you so much for your advice! I was quite keen on a love bird but I don’t think my family would be to keen on the screaming. There are so many cute budgies and they look like they have the coolest little personalities!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I am pretty sure your Dad could hear the budgie with 2 closed doors between.
I know I could. I've had a number of single budgie over many years and they can really get going when they want to.
I don't think it would be loud enough to be distracting to people on the other end of the line.
well I don't know about that, budgies can be loud but usually they are at an acceptable level. Although when I had my 2 males, they could really get loud especially when they were each at their end of the room and felt they had to talk to each other, or they wanted to partake in our conversations/add to dialogues in the movies on TV... Since one of the males died and we got a female, the noise level has gone down. My male sometimes feels he has to be heard, asking for breakfast or complaining I didn't give them salad yet, but all in all they are OK to have in a small flat and a good choice for your first birds Kate!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There is a breeder in my area. Any tips for what to look for when looking for a bird and what age I should buy?
A good breeder will guide you. Look for posture (should be positioned fairly upright, not hunched or eyes closed or sleeping when all the other birds are awake). Clear eyes/not runny, poop should form a tight coil (not a wet splash) .

Does this breeder give any guarantee? Find out what age he recommends you take one. I just got 2 at age 10 weeks, they had just then weaned.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would want to ask the breeder several questions first. 1. Do you cut the flight feathers? If the answer is yes than walk away. 2.
Do you hand feed the budgie and let them stay with the parents for a few weeks? 3.
Do you start them on some veggies before placement in a home? Are they fledge first ? (flying)

I agree about not purchasing a budgie in a pet store. Many get sick from the stress of changing to a home environment because immune systems are weak. Check into English Budgies if you can. They are larger and more calm than American. Budgies of all kinds can be noisy at times. Just because they are small does not mean they are quiet. Good luck in your search.

JKate

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
All this amazing help! Thanks everyone for your help. I’m currently looking at cages, I’ve contacted the breeder and she was very very helpful, so hopefully in a few months (we go on holiday in 2 months, so I’m waiting until after the holiday) I’ll have 2 more feathered friends!!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Welcome to the site! Budgies are the best.

Okay, not to rain on anyone's parade when it comes to the noise level, but I recently had two budgies and they could be very loud.

When I was little, we had just one parakeet and the noise level was not near as insane. You get use to it, but if your father is taking conference calls, it would probably be better if your two new friends were in another room, with the door closed.