• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I clip?

Jobando092693

Moving in
Real Name
Justyne
  1. My bird has taken first flight and has been flying for five days. He or she has been flying around the house and is making it harder each time to catch him or her. I'm uncertain whether or not to clip his or her wings because her or she is still weaning. What should I do wait or clip?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I'd wait a while before clipping to allow you time to adjust to it. Birds that are allowed to fledge properly as chicks will always become better and more confident flyers. In the meantime I would recommend you let him out in a smaller room where it is easier to catch him while you are training him.

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
I would wait! I never clip my birds wings once they are tame I let them grow out so they can fly around good for the birds health!. :smuggrin:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds live to fly. That is what the wings are for. Why are you "catching" the bird? They will usually come back to the cage once they have flown enough. Relax and enjoy watching him fly.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I'd also wait. Let him enjoy his wings! Birds that aren't fledged properly often have balance issues when they get older. All of mine except willow are fully flighted and even when they're playing hard to get I still wouldn't want to clip them. They love their wings. Willow is currently growing out her feathers :) I'm hoping she'll enjoy some flying too when the time comes.