• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I Be Worried.

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Im not sure if tolstoy is sick or not. Basically, the only symptom i can see is that he sits on his perch for a while all fluffed up. Far as i can tell this is normal behaviour for him as hes generally done this since i got him (a month). I think. My memory is kinda bad though. Though he jumps down and dances around the edge of the cage when be wants to come out, then hes not puffy

He eats his pellet mash well, eyes are clear, no runny nose, poop is normal, olive green and white.. He occasionally sneezes, but hes always done that, that i do remember. He doesnt squeak much in the morning, but he raises a racket when i leave the room. If i missed anything, ask?

Also i wasnt sure where to put this, since as far as i can tell my worry is based on behaviour

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Has he had a wellness check since you brought him home? Each bird should have one just to be sure. How long is he staying fluffed up, and what happens right before and after? Like right now Jingo just ate a bunch, and is now sitting on his flat perch all fluffy. He's just content :)

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Not yet, i cant get my mom to let me do that right now.

He usually does it for a couple of hours. Theres no real specific time because he dances at the cage edge for outtime at random intervals.

I think hes content too. Yesterday i took him out, he tucked one leg up and puffed on my arm. So i have a feeling that hes just comfortable, but i read alot about bird illness and they all say puffyness is bad. Naturally kicking my paranoia in the crotch

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If everything else is normal then I think he may just be content. When they're relaxing birds will naturally allow their feathers to "relax" this is very different from sick poofed feathers. I think once you get to know your little guy it'll be pretty apparent which he's doing :)

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Thanks for the replies guys. I just had a burst of paranoia and had to get another opinion