• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I be worried? Egg binding or egg laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gritsinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cathy
Hello. I posted in another place about my cockatiel laying eggs. She has now laid 5 eggs total and is sitting on them on the bottom of the cage. Tonight she is breathing very heavily and her feathers are ruffled. I just read online that those can be signs of egg binding. But I don't know what a bird acts like when it is laying an egg, since she always does it at night when she is covered. I can't tell if there is any swelling, etc because she is sitting on her eggs. I don't know if I should upset her by trying to look or not.

Should I be concerned about egg binding or are these symptoms of simply laying another egg?

Thank you!

PS - I don't know if I should post this in the 911 section or if it's not considered an emergency. If anyone thinks I should put it there, please let me know!!!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
when was her last egg laid?
They lay 1 egg every 2 days, Normal clutch is 4-6
she maybe getting ready to lay another egg
i've only ever seen one of mine Before they laid an egg, I didn't know she was about to lay an egg Just thought she was upset about something, She was breathing hard (normally When i'm in with her she doesn't- but there were kids outside playing So thought maybe that's what it was) about a hour later I went in and she was in their nest box and I peeked in and she had an egg - Just laid

gritsinct

Real Name
Cathy
She laid her last egg night before last, so it is about time for her to lay another one if she is going to. I am concerned because she is breathing heavily and her feathers are fluffed. But she just got up a little while ago and took a couple of bites of food then ran back to the eggs, so she is apparently mobile. Also her eyes are very bright and look the same as usual, if that matters. Thanks.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
She laid her last egg night before last, so it is about time for her to lay another one if she is going to. I am concerned because she is breathing heavily and her feathers are fluffed. But she just got up a little while ago and took a couple of bites of food then ran back to the eggs, so she is apparently mobile. Also her eyes are very bright and look the same as usual, if that matters. Thanks.
Your welcome
Just keep an eye on her, if she doesn't lay an egg tonight/tomorrow and still acting like this, then I'd take her into the vet.

her being able to move around is a fairly good sign, but I'd just keep an eye on her, but at the same time don't make her nervous about it (if possible) most birds don't much like being started at - since that is what most predators do to them -

gritsinct

Real Name
Cathy
Yeah I'm trying to walk that line between worried and threatening. :) She gets on my finger, etc. but is not exceedingly tame and doesn't like me in her face at the best of times.

I wasn't sure if this was a case of me needing to get to an emergency vet immediately, or if I could cover her and give her peace and see what's up in the morning. She doesn't appear to be straining or any of the other signs, just the breathing and fluffing. So I think I'm comfortable with waiting till morning (fingers crossed - please let this be the right decision).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do all the other eggs have a well formed, good hard shell?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes keep an eye on her...Sam acts like this just before getting ready to lay another egg...by the way very important that the eggs are all round, hard same size and color or she is not getting enough calcium...extra calcium rich foods such as broccoli and kale..also easy access to cuttlebone and mineral block...and get some calci boost if necessary

gritsinct

Real Name
Cathy
The three eggs she still has are hard and well formed. The first two she layed were cracked and I made the assumption she had just dropped them from her perch, but you know what they say about assumptions... :D

I have been fighting to get her to eat vegetables since I got them four years ago! I still put veggies in their cage every day and they both basically ignore them every day. But they do eat birdie bread with veggies (most of the time they throw the veggies over the side, but I know they get some), and they get good pellets and a small amount of high quality seed. They also have a cuttle bone and mineral block.

This morning she seemed back to normal and there were still only three eggs. I had to go to work this morning because I had meetings scheduled all day, and I am very anxious about getting home and checking on her. Darn work!

Where do I find the calci boost?

I ordered fake eggs and I am hoping they get here soon, although I know that doesn't solve this issue, I'm hoping she will feel like she has enough eggs and stop laying!

Thanks everyone!!!! :heart:

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you can buy calci boost on line try healthybird.net or birdsupplynh.com also I recommend buying some false eggs....in case an egg breaks they sure come in handy

gritsinct

Real Name
Cathy
I did order fake eggs as I am intending on replacing these eggs, as I don't want any babies! I'm just hoping they get here soon! I'll order the calci boost. Thanks.

gritsinct

Real Name
Cathy
My daughter checked on her mid-day and said she looked fine. Tonight she has a 4th egg, so apparently egg binding isn't an issue! :) But she is still breathing heavily IMHO. Is there anything else I should be worried about. The other time she had eggs i got her a nest box so I couldn't see how she was doing, which worried me. But maybe that would be better for her? I am very glad egg binding isn't the issue.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
maybe its a bit warm in your house? is she holding her wings slightly away from her body?

is she just breathing hard or is her mouth open while she's doing it?

glad she laid another egg- Well not that she laid another one Just that is one less thing to worry about :)

gritsinct

Real Name
Cathy
I keep the room they are in around 70. Occasionally it gets to around 72 when the temp really drops outside, because the door is shut and the radiator is working. (I have the whole-house radiator set low and use space heater with thermostat to keep that room pretty stable), but that shouldn't be too hot should it?

She is breathing hard, but she doesn't have her mouth open or her wings out, but she does ruffle her feathers on her back. I don't think it's fear or aggression either. She charges me when I change their food/water/paper, but otherwise I stay far enough away that she doesn't feel a need to protect.

She is still eating fine and still looks bright eyed and alert so I guess I should quit worrying.

I'm glad about the egg too, although I'd sure like for her to stop! :D I wish they could spay/neuter birds. :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.