• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I be expecting eggs?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
2 lovebirds, around 10 months old, bonded and living together. Showing signs of hormonal behavior towards each other. One is a hybrid so…sterile. Should I be expecting my female (not DNA tested) to pop out an egg? There is no hiding places in their cage. Any one else experienced this?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Your female will likely lay at some point or another, it would be much more uncommon for her not to ever lay eggs.

Hens can lay from the age of approx. 7 months old. My two young girlies laid eggs just after the year mark. Lapis was mating from 5 or 6 months and laid her first egg at 13 or 14 months.

Should I be expecting my female (not DNA tested) to pop out an egg?
At some point or another, yes.

There is no hiding places in their cage.
That´s good, but as much as it may help to deter laying, eventually they will lay on the grate, usually in the corner. Some will try laying on a perch and it falls and breaks.
I have heard of some people having their hens lay on their sofas and places like that, but my girls have never done that, they always return to their cage to lay. They don´t like to be out of the cage as much, and prefer to lay their egg when no one is in the room :shy: I have only seen a handful of eggs laid.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Your female will likely lay at some point or another, it would be much more uncommon for her not to ever lay eggs.

Hens can lay from the age of approx. 7 months old. My two young girlies laid eggs just after the year mark. Lapis was mating from 5 or 6 months and laid her first egg at 13 or 14 months.

At some point or another, yes.

That´s good, but as much as it may help to deter laying, eventually they will lay on the grate, usually in the corner. Some will try laying on a perch and it falls and breaks.
I have heard of some people having their hens lay on their sofas and places like that, but my girls have never done that, they always return to their cage to lay. They don´t like to be out of the cage as much, and prefer to lay their egg when no one is in the room :shy: I have only seen a handful of eggs laid.
Thanks Zara, I had a breeding pair but that was literally 20 years ago and a lot has progressed. They were chronic egg layers and the male was just so exhausted from trying to keep up with his mate. It was sad to watch. This is before there was a lot of info out there.