• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shortage of Harrison's Bird Foods in Australia

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
A quick note for all users of Harrison's Bird Foods in Australia. I went to my AV yesterday to acquire some more Harrison's Pellets yesterday only to find not only did they not have any, but they have been advised by the Australian Distributor for Harrison's Bird Foods that they will not be able to acquire any for 2-6 months. :eek: Luckily though, 1 of the other 2 AVs in Melbourne had 8 bags of High Potency Fine, of which I acquired 6, albeit at a cost of about 50% more than what I usually pay. :( While my birds will also accept Roudybush, both theirs, and my preference is Harrison's. So if you're in Australia and you use Harrison's stock up now, but don't forget to check the expiry date on the bottom of the bag. :)

I have no idea if this has been caused by an issue at Harrison's themselves or just a case that the Australian Distributor got slack and forgot to order them before Xmas. We can't order direct from Harrison's like you lot in North America can, but I'll be contacting Harrison's and finding out what is going on. I'll also see if I can find out if this is an issue that just affects supply for Australia or other markets as well. If anyone else has any news please plug into this thread so we can all keep up to date. :confused:

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I checked in with my AV who have withdrawn the product due to quality issues, maybe this is related?

I personally don't use it, but noticed signs around there.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The distributor is Priam isn't it? I don't imagine they'd have been slack on ordering, wouldn't make sense for them.
They're great to deal with (I get mine from them), so if you have questions I'm sure their site/facebook page address them, and if not, im sure they'd happily explain :)

I have a freezer full and Harvey just crumbles it for fun lol

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I checked in with my AV who have withdrawn the product due to quality issues, maybe this is related?

I personally don't use it, but noticed signs around there.

Possible, but unlikely. I'm both unaware of, and unable to find any reference to, any recalls or product
withdrawals. Harrison's would also have to have pretty well documented QC procedures in place to maintain their USDA Organic Certification. Generally recalls or product withdrawals are limited to a particular product and/or batch, not the entire range. Mizzely would be all over it like a rash if this was the case. I've sent an email to Tanya Harrison, the CIC of Harrison's Pet Products, to see what the go is. I'll post the response once I've received the reply. :)

The distributor is Priam isn't it? I don't imagine they'd have been slack on ordering, wouldn't make sense for them.

I have a freezer full and Harvey just crumbles it for fun lol

I was warned by my AV to keep always keep a couple of months worth up my sleeve as constant reliable supply was known to be an issue. "Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see and you'll get by just fine".
;)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Well I heard from Jean Coffinberry, Project Manager for Harrison's Pet Products. There are no issues with quality control, production quantities or anything else. According to Jean, it is our Australian Distributor who controls the frequency and quantities shipped. Therefore one can only presume that Priam have been slack or underestimated demand. How a company could underestimate a market by six months has got me beat. We're talking bird pellets, not the ultimate sexy new smartphone that everyone on the planet wants.:rolleyes:

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I guess they have a lot of birds too use them for as well...
I don't know, I've never had a problem with Priam, so without hearing anything from them I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
It's also possible they had a large amount of stock that wasn't selling so didn't order as much the next time etc

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Thankfully i use Vetafarm which is made in Australia, so i dont really have to worry as much.

How many places stock Harrisons pellets? i only knew of priam.