• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shoelaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianimal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
I'm assuming they are not, but are shoelaces safe to use in bird toys?

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
I use shoelaces to hang a toy for my grey on his play gym. Never had a problem at all. Its about 4 inches long.I took 3 laces and braided them, then hung the toy from it. My boy is supervised and he is fine with it. I have been using it for 3 months, not a problem! My guy doesnt chew on it.

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
Thanks a bunch!! :) I ran out of leather and hemp and I didnt know what else to use.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I've used shoe laces along with the string that comes out of Jogging pants and Hoodies (who wants to mess with trying to get them back in lol) never had a problem with any of it. and most of my birds that got those toys were smaller, Budgies, lovebirds, Tiels

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
My understanding is it depends on your bird of course, and also some shoelaces have elastic in them. Those really aren't so great to use because they fray and it is easy for the bird to get caught in them trapped and panic. Not fun.

However there are some "shoelace" toys that don't have elastic in them that our guy likes however in our case he is only alowed to use the toy outside the cage under our direct observation. So if there is a problem we can jump on it. :)

This is one with elastic:
Opentip.com: Aussie Bird Toys Shoelace Wonder Handtoy

This is one without elastic that we let him play with outside the cage under supervision (ps- he LOVES this one we hold it and he feels like he gets to preen us as he plays with it:laughing12:) :
“A Toy Story”: The Story Behind “Ring Around the Rainbow” Parrot Nation

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
Thanks ya'll! Thats a cute toy, i may have to look into one of those. My shoe laces are just the basic laces no elastic, but they do have little turtle designs on them :)

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen
I've used shoe laces along with the string that comes out of Jogging pants and Hoodies (who wants to mess with trying to get them back in lol) never had a problem with any of it. and most of my birds that got those toys were smaller, Budgies, lovebirds, Tiels
I hear ya there, Kelli.... getting those laces back in is next to impossible! May as well put them to good use :dance5:

Status
Not open for further replies.