• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shiro, Clear Pied Cockatiel. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm gonna post a bit about Shiro, but before I do, some people have mentioned they haven't seen a white Cockatiel before (a lot of people on different forums I've gone on have said they can't believe there's such thing as a white Cockatiel :rofl:) so I'm gonna post some photos after-wards.

In March 2009, mum and myself went to our huge local shopping center to do some shopping - before we started browsing shops, I asked if we could quickly pop into the pet store just "to have a look". Well as we were walking around the pet store, mum came across a cage with I think it was 3-4 Cockatiels in it, she called me and we stood there looking at these Cockatiel and mum asked the price and our jaws dropped, not just ours, but a couple of other people who were also looking at these Cockatiels. There was one mum spotted, a white one, he was sitting there singing 'pop goes the weasel' to a big toy bell that was in the cage. We all stood there cracking up at him and mum kept saying she wants him. After standing there for awhile looking at the Cockatiels, mum wanted to go, so we left the pet store and started walking and browing the shops, mum kept on saying "I want that Cockatiel" over and over again, but for the price, she didn't really want to pay THAT much for just a Cockatiel that we didn't know if was hand-raised or not, they didn't say. After mum repeatedly saying she wants him, I ended up going back and getting him! :lol:

So, I went back and got him, they gave me some bottle with crap in it that they said he must have, but I didn't end up giving him any and they also said if I have any problems with him (i.e he gets sick) you get to see the Vet for free, since you purchased from them. . little did we know, there was something wrong with him, he was so happy chirping away in the box and as soon as we got him home, we put him in a cage and he was eating and singing his pop goes the weasel song. It wasn't until later on that when he started banging into things that we noticed his wing kept bleeding every time, on close inspection when I took him out and found out he is indeed hand-reared, they had cut one wing far too much, I think they managed to get a bone. . so every time he flew into something or thrashed against the cage (which he done a lot) his wing would continue to bleed and bleed. Whenever it bled, we'd have to get a truck load (not literally) of flour to stop it, and sadly, there's nothing the Vet can do, only hope that his wing feathers grew back properly and that they'd then not bled. I had to watch him when he was having out time, I'd be chasing him around the room making sure he lands on something soft and not on his wing, the other bad part? he couldn't fly, he would fly very short distance, but he'd be lop-sided which was really sad. Months and months and months later, his flight feathers grew back, but. . he STILL cannot fly properly like a normal Cockatiel should, he tries so hard, and it's so heart breaking to see him not be able to fly like my other 9 Cockatiels can, and he really wants to be able to fly like they can. Despite having his flight feathers, it hasn't helped the slightest and now we have a bird who is lop-sided when flying, but he can only fly a very short distance - if he see's the other birds in a high spot, he can't fly up there, he has to sit low and suffer because of some moron (I reckon the pet store) who made him like that. His wing hasn't bled for a LONG time now, he has had a few crashes, but no bleeding wing, thank god.

Anyway, that's how we got Shiro, he was a perfectly awesome Cockatiel in the pet store, payed a fair bit for him (over priced more like it) and we had no idea that something horrible like that had happened to him because he was in a cage so happy and singing. He's still a happy chap, he whistles his pop goes the weasel still, he can say his name, and "pretty boy".

Now onto the photos.. :hehe:

This is the day we got him

Other photos of him

Photos below may be a bit yuck for some, if you don't like seeing blood then don't look further. .

These are a few photos of Shiro after & when his wing bled

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He is absolutely stunning!!! :hug8:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
awhh, the poor little wing :(

But he's absalutely stunning! I've never seen a teil so white, either!

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Wow, he's gorgeous! He looks just like my new friend, Chloe!

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Ohhh, that poor little baby! I've seen a couple of white tiels, but Shiro is just such a bright white. I paid a little too much for my tiel, too. But when they pick you, what can you do?!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness...so very beautiful! :heart:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name