• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She's laying eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meaggiedear

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meagan
My little bird hater, Willow, started laying Saturday night. She laid one and just left it on the grate and the other birds were kicking it around. I moved it to a food bowl so it wouldn't get broken and she ignored it. Egg #2 last night. Willow was protecting the egg and keeping everyone away from the food. And she attacked me a couple of times and then she decided shed rather come out and play than sit on her eggs. She's clearly not taking it too seriously. I separated willow with grey since she was being mean and he is best bird to help/deal with her. Grey is upset to be away from Ama but I sat the cages next to each other. Grey went down twice and rolled the eggs around and willow has ignored them entirely. Grey is pretty much glued to the side of the cage so he can be close to Ama. And Ama is staying close by.

I guess I'm just looking for advice for things I didn't think of. Better ways to deal with the situation maybe?

Here are some pictures of the set up.

Mostly what Grey is doing:

Ignoring the eggs:

meaggiedear

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meagan
I should add that I don't think Grey is the dad. I just picked him over Ama (the probable "dad") bc Ama is so young and Willow is so hateful and Grey is about the only one that can handle her. I don't think the eggs are fertile. I have never seen Willow mate and she doesn't like another bird getting too close (except when she is using Ama for scritches), but it's always possible.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When you don't know if the eggs are fertile (because you don't) you must assume they are. They either need to be sterilized (boiled) or replaced with fakes. Hens don't usually take interest in the eggs until the entire clutch is laid.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I have no advice when it comes to egg laying so I'm bumping this for you.. :smileflower:

Status
Not open for further replies.