• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She's definitely plucking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I bought the Avicalm and Featheriffic supplements about three weeks ago to use on both my girls. It seems to be helping Gus a bit. She has been a terrific mood and talking up a storm, even more than she usually does. I haven't noticed a difference in her barbering though.

Tiki, OTOH, has progressed to obvious plucking. It has gotten worse, even in the past week. I don't think it's the supplements but it's upsetting regardless. She has removed all the feathers from her breast, including her down. The Featheriffic is making them grow in quickly but she just pulls them out as soon as the sheath starts to come off. She has also started taking out the ones on the very top of her back.

I finally put the two cages in the same room so they will be slightly more mentally stimulated. There is an AC vent near by that I'm going to block off in case that may help things. I gave Tiki a giant wiffle ball toy that is covered in knots and beads (that sucker was pricey and looks like it took hours to make) that I was hoping she wouldn't be able to resist. I did see her nibbling on it so that's one promising thing. She also goes in and out of her cage frequently if I leave the door open instead of huddling in the back, refusing to come out.

I think part of the issue may be getting them to eat the full dosage of the supplement every day. The powder just falls to the bottom of the bowl and they don't really eat it unless I don't refill the food until after they eat every last bite.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I haven't read any other threads about this, so excuse me if you have already answered.
Have you taken Tiki to an Avian vet? They would need to do cultures, a blood panel and other tests to everything out.
Sudden and severe plucking may be due to physical problems.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I would discontinue the supplements in case she is having a reaction to one of them. It might just be from the stress of leaving her old home. I would say the same as Danita, she needs to see a vet who may be able to pinpoint what is causing it.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
She was plucking before I brought her home but not to this extent. I've had her about 5 weeks. It has gradually gotten worse but has been more obvious in the past two weeks because she removed all the regular feathers by that point so I could see her skin peaking through.

You can read her background here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/30503-my-caique-here.html

I will be taking her for a checkup but it will take a bit of time as my avian vet of choice is not the easiest nor cheapest person to get an appointment with.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Birds hide their illness, but when there is a stressful event, such as a move, or a new home, this weakens the immune system. Then that illness that was dormant or mild, will become active.
Also, if they were sick when they arrived at the new home, and the new home has a nice safe, loving environment, they don't have to fight the illness so hard and it comes out. kwim??

Status
Not open for further replies.