• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sharp beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
Gillies' beak has suddenly gotten extremely pointy and sharp. We're wondering if there is something safe for a lorikeet that he'd be interested in to file that down a bit. He just loves wrestling with us and it's very difficult to enjoy it right now when he keeps coming close to piercing our skin! :eek: We have heard that cuttlebone may not be good for lorikeets because of the high calcium content.

Annemarie

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Maybe just a cement perch? Many birds will file their beaks on them themselves. Or you can bring her to the vet for a beak trim.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
A mineral block will work also ... it seems to me that lorikeets tend to have sharper beaks than other species of parrots. All of the ones who have lived with me have had very sharp beaks :)

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
Thanks for the tips guys! He already has a flagstone perch, but he wasn't using it much. I just noticed for the first time the other day that he was finally rubbing his beak on it. Also, his beak doesn't seem quite as sharp now. :D Hopefully he keeps it up by himself in the future because having a vet trim it doesn't sound fun for him!

Annemarie

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Yeah Noodle doesn't work her beak on things much either and she is a pointy little stabby face. The vet offered to trim her but I asked if it was for her or for me and the vet admitted her beak was fine for her but might be too sharp for me and we left it as is. I didn't want to put Noodle through that unless it was for her health, she is so little!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you give my birds anything meant to wear theirs beaks, they don't use it to make it dull. They use it like a sharpening stone to hone a fine edge on that already razor sharp beak. They're no dummies. :D

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
Good point John. I'm realizing that now, as he's sitting on my lap, chilling out, getting ready for bedtime. Luckily he's in more of a tasting mood tonight vs. a wrestling one or I might have some holes in my leg! :lol:

Annemarie

Grey Poizon

Moving in
Real Name
Colleen Leslie "Ollie"
My Reese's beak is very sharp and have numerous times thought about filing it down...but it would only be for my bennifit and not his...so i brave the occasional nibble.

Status
Not open for further replies.